Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graflex Super D 4x5?

multiplex

Re: Graflex Super D 4x5?

hi robert

i have a old series d with a graflex back ( the sliding bar )
    and i also use a graphic23 roll film back. its a roll film back that is meant
    for a graflok / international back camera ( like a speed graphic &C )
    --- i just tape it on there ...
    for a while i was using a recommar 35mm back on the camera as well ...
    black and white, color, c-41 or e6 ... can't think of a reason why i shouldn't do it ...

i have a long list of things i can't believe that people do ... but i realized it doesn't really matter

shoot, i have an RB with a bag mag and would love to switch to one with a back I can use my modern holders on instead if you want to trade!

The focus screen on a Super D is newer and brighter then the older cameras.
    The cloth shutter curtain is going to have less age on it and I believe they were made from better material then the earlier camera curtains, so probably in better shape.
    The shutter tensions have two settings instead of five so somewhat simpler to use.
    I love the smell of a Graflex in the morning, so don't get me wrong - I like the fine older cameras too. But, the Super D is more of a modern camera and easier to use.
    Another $.02 worth for free.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    The focus screen on a Super D is newer and brighter then the older cameras.
    The cloth shutter curtain is going to have less age on it and I believe they were made from better material then the earlier camera curtains, so probably in better shape.
    The shutter tensions have two settings instead of five so somewhat simpler to use.
    I love the smell of a Graflex in the morning, so don't get me wrong - I like the fine older cameras too. But, the Super D is more of a modern camera and easier to use.
    Another $.02 worth for free.
    Robert
    You could sell the bagmags you've collected and buy a handful of grafmatics and use the Super D with the benefits Robert describes above....

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I understand one wanting the option for having ground glass for times when using the hood would not be practical. However, since there on no shifts, rises or tilts on the Graflex and since the lenses are longish, typically 7.5" on 4"x5" Graflexes or longer", I am a bit hard pressed to find situations where the difference between rear ground glass of the focusing hood would make a difference.

If one was at a wall that was 4' high, and there was no block, stool or ladder to use, then I could see the point, but how many times would one run across that situation.

If you can think of any, please tell me.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.