Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to LF...

New to LF...

I have just started to purchase LF equipment. I recetnly bought the Chamonix 045-1.
    I currently shoot Nikon full frame digital, and my main area of photography is Landscape. I still plan to cw digital as this is going to be my main tool, but I Want to start LF for the slower pace of photography, and ability to make large photos, hoping to go pro by next year.

my question is, do I buy a 90mm now or buy a 150mm, then get the 90 in the future?
    My subjects are mainly going to be sea, desert, and alpine.

any advice is appreciated.

Gevork

Re: New to LF...

I would recommend you start with something in the 120 to 150 range. When I started LF I was surprised just how much you can get in with a standard lens. You will find a 90mm lens considerably wider.

I always found wider lenses to be more difficult to compose when I was starting out. Good landscape demands that you isolate your subject in the frame so I would also recommend the 150 and save the 90 for later. I do a lot of work on the Maine coast and find the 225- 250mm to be very usable as well when shooting 4x5.

Bob

In Death Valley landscapes I use 203 or 210 most of the time. I have found, in 10 years, one scene that wanted 90, and one that wanted 65. But several that wanted 135 or 360.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What you get depends mostly on what you want/need. (You already know that!) I get most usage out of my "normal" lenses, followed by the slightly longer lenses (190, 210 and 300). I shot amost 3 decades worth of LF without a 90 or wider. Then I bought one thinking I'd see life differntly with it. So far I've composed with it, shot a test roll using a roll film back... but have not yet exposed a piece of sheet film with it. I think I'll only be using it mostly for architecture whenever I get around to that, or as a "normal" lens with a roll film holder.

Start with the 150, the 90 is more difficult to use and I think most people would agree that 90mm is not their go to lens for landscape.

Thank you for the responses.
    Now if I were to use the 4x5 for panoramic shots (crop from top and bottom), would the 120 or 150 serve me well?

generally, my favorite FL for 35mm is 24mm. I do a lot of seascape photography. But I dont plan to shoot a lot of seascape with the LF. Im thinking 120 would be best of both worlds.

Ive looked at a lot of photos by Ansel Adams, and I noticed a lot of them are either standard or telephoto. More and more, I see myself using telephoto or standard when shooting with my digital, simply to isolate the subject better. with super wide, the subject just gets lost in the photo, unless I shoot seascape, where I try to have boulders and waaves as my foreground, and the sky and horizon as my background. in alpine or desert photography, I would imagine using less wide angles. this is the impressionI am getting.

What do you think?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I find 120 to be too wide... but I also feel 24mm too wide for 35mm photography. If you like wide I'd not go wider than 120. Personally, I'd encourage you to first try a 135 or 150 and see if it fits your needs. If you really want to follow in AA's footsteps... do what you have already realized; get lenses that are normal and slightly long.

Youre right Brian.

Again, the only timeI really go wide is shooting seascapes. My favorites shots of Yosemite from few months ago were with 50mm and 70mm.

what do you think of Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 Apo-Sironar -N Lens? I found one on ebay for $369.

Quote Originally Posted by gmed View Post
    Thank you for the responses.
    Now if I were to use the 4x5 for panoramic shots (crop from top and bottom), would the 120 or 150 serve me well?

generally, my favorite FL for 35mm is 24mm. I do a lot of seascape photography. But I dont plan to shoot a lot of seascape with the LF. Im thinking 120 would be best of both worlds.
    I find myself doing this as well when I am around or on the water. I especially like the pano look you get when you crop a bit of sky and use a wide lens. I use a 150mm on 8x10 for this. This said, I still only find myself using a wider than normal lens for maybe 1 in 10 or 15 shots.