This weekend 4/30 - 5/3 I flew to Charleston, S.C. from O'Hare International. I checked two bags at the curb, one of which contained my tripod, and carried on two - my 8 X 10 kit in it's case and 8 film holders in an army surplus waterproof bag. The camera case was within size restrictions, it's 20 X 14 X 9 and weighed 32 lbs. The holders were considerably smaller and weighed 16 lbs.

I asked for a hand inspection of the film holders at both airports security gates. No hassle at either although the folks at Charleston were more thorough and they were a little busy - there is only 1 detector/gate for a terminal with 5 gates. Both times the security personel were polite and agreeable. I tried to time it so that I went through the gates when there were fewr people ahead of and behind me to minimize the inconvenience and pressure - that worked at O'Hare, but not at Charleston.

Lastly, my carry-ons were actually smaller than a lot of the folks with rolling luggage and garment bags. I was very relieved that I had no trouble at either airport.