Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebony Focusing - the three hands problem

Re: Ebony Focusing - the three hands problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I always level first, but tightening the rails is a good thought. Mine are a bit loose. What i mean about front movements is that if I do not lock down the focus, I tend to move the standard when I am fiddling with the tilt or swing. When the movements are on the same side you just keep the loupe in one hand and adjust with the other.
    Adjust the rails and see the difference it makes
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    One thing you can do is to achieve fine focus with significant tension on the locking knob(s) (i.e. friction on the rails). Once you've achieved focus you can come up for air without worrying about accidentally bumping things out of focus. On my Ebony I lock the rails into place while holding fast the position of the focusing knob, because tightening the locking knobs securely will shift focus. This can be done under the cloth, but I prefer to tighen things down after I've come up for air.

A similar strategy can be used with front and rear tilt. I'll loosen the knobs enough to get the standard out of the null position and then retightened significantly; now use this resistance to slowly nudge your way to the best plane of focus for your composition, then lock down hard and fast.

Another thing that helps with focusing and movement is to use high-powered reading glasses (+5 to +7) instead of a loupe - no more need for the third hand. Once I think I'm good-to-go I'll add more tension to the rails and then check for critical focus with a loupe. Once critical focus is achieved I come up for air and turn the locking knob(s) tight while holding the focusing knob in position to prevent inadvertent focus shift.
    Ditto

I do almost exactly the same thing except I select a point in the image positioned on or near one of the grid lines so I can see if the focus shifts at all when I tighten things up.

Once I have my focus set, first with +4 glasses, then checked with the loupe, I apply an iron grip on the right knob so it can't move, drop the loupe and tighten the left knob. My grip on the right knob seldom moves but the odd time that it does and I want to recheck the focus I just look at my reference point on the grid line. My hand is always in the same position and braced against the rail when it's time to grip the final focus knob set point so I must have subconsciously learned to move my hand into position when the focus was close.

It finally donned on me one day after using the camera for a while that this camera is built rock solid and needs to be handled with some strength rather than gentle finesse all the time. Squeeze down on your focus with some tension set as Eric mentioned, and grab that right focusing knob firmly with your hand braced when the focus is getting tightened. No problems here.

IMHO the camera seems to be nicely designed but just needs a little energy applied at times.

Hope this helps!

...Unlock on one side and focus on the other means you are constantly changing hands with the loupe. ... Any good workarounds?
    What works for me is to not hold a loupe in my hand. I like both hands free when doing photography.

I can do this because I've got a pair of glasses made for close work. Optimized for 5x4, just enough magnification so that the ground glass fills my field of vision -- about 2x magnification, and my eyes 17-18cm from the ground glass. Perfect for framing and rough focus for 5x4.

For fine focus, I've got a jeweler's swing-down loupe that clamps onto the temple of my work glasses. Donegan Optical Co. makes it. It's a 4x magnification, and magnifications add, so when I use it I get about 6x total magnification. I find this an excellent magnification to use for fine focus, and for judging tilts, etc.

So... both hands always free.

I don't expect this will work for everyone. But it's an option that happens to work really well for me.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    If you need to keep locking and unlocking the focus spindles, then your rail clamps are too loose. You are dealing with a wooden camera, where the rails tend to expand and contract, depending on the temperature and humidity; simply pinch up the screws on the rail clamps to grip the rail more but don't forget that you may have to loosen them again when the weather changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    I second that...
    Joanna's input is spot-on accurate. Is there some reason why everyone in this thread except Vlad has ingored it?

See the answer to question 3 in this list:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/FAQ.html

Tried the high mag glasses, but since I need reading glasses to adjust the camera, that meant juggling two pairs.

Bruce,

The jeweler's loupe sounds worth a try. How does it work with extreme movements? I use a Silvestra tilting loupe because I am often trying to focus with an extreme movement, and getting on the optical axis really helps.

I have the same problem as Ed with occasionally needing 3 hands to focus my Ebony. I haven't found a good solution but sometimes I will use my head to hold the loupe so that I can focus and lock. I press my glasses against the loupe and hold it against the ground glass long enough to focus. It is uncomfortable and the loupe usually slips off the glass after a few seconds but it is long enough to get my focus set.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wong View Post
    I have the same problem as Ed with occasionally needing 3 hands to focus my Ebony. I haven't found a good solution but sometimes I will use my head to hold the loupe so that I can focus and lock. I press my glasses against the loupe and hold it against the ground glass long enough to focus. It is uncomfortable and the loupe usually slips off the glass after a few seconds but it is long enough to get my focus set.
    Have you tried the same solution that I suggested to Ed; tightening the rails?
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Drew Wiley

Odd. I've never even thought about it. I use a handheld loupe with string attached,
    use both Sinar and Ebony cameras, and don't seem to have any trouble focussing either. But I tend to set my tilt function without looking through the loupe, then refocus looking through the loop, then readjust the tilt as needed. The "yaw free" base tilt of the Sinar and the axis tilt of the Ebony are completely different in this respect. Maybe I'm not doing it the fastest way; but usually I'm dealing with complex
    depth of field problem which require a bit of fiddling anyway.

The jeweler's loupe sounds worth a try. How does it work with extreme movements? I use a Silvestra tilting loupe because I am often trying to focus with an extreme movement, and getting on the optical axis really helps.
    I never think about it. I suppose that I tilt my head to line things up, but I don't know. That being the case, I'd have to say that it works well for me. I suspect that it depends on how extreme your extreme actually is, and whether or not you're using a fresnel lens for a ground glass, and if so, how good a fit your fresnel is to the taking lens in question. IOW, the easiest way to find out if it will work for you is to try and see.

I'm talking about a Donegan Eyeglass loupe. I use a single 4x magnifier with my 2x glasses. You may want more or less depending on your needs, and they have a nice variety to choose from. I bought mine from Otto Frei -- look part way down the page to find the single 4x loupe for $22.00. At that price it's not that much of a gamble maybe.

Bruce Watson

Tried tightening the rails. The bars with the screws seem to be flush on their supports and the screws are so tight that i am afraid that if I try to tighten them more I will either round the Phillips recess or strip the threads out of the wood. The rails are pretty loose and this is in hot weather with high humidity. Any suggestions? I have a 45SU of ebony wood. Are these screws in wood or metal?