Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toning images scanned from B&W negs?

Toning images scanned from B&W negs?

I have a large number of scans of B&W negs scanned as monochrome. Is it possible using CS5 to warm these up a bit. Obviously the channel mixer won't work because there is only the monochrome channel. I'm looking for a tone just a bit warmer than the unpleasantly cool gray of a laptop screen. TIA for any tips. njb

Re: Toning images scanned from B&W negs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nacio Jan Brown View Post
    I have a large number of scans of B&W negs scanned as monochrome. Is it possible using CS5 to warm these up a bit. Obviously the channel mixer won't work because there is only the monochrome channel. I'm looking for a tone just a bit warmer than the unpleasantly cool gray of a laptop screen. TIA for any tips. njb
    There are many good ways. I use SilverEfex but that is add-on software. Best to just link to tutorials I think. These have helped me in the past.

http://layersmagazine.com/2629.html
    http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...-white-toning/
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/photoshop/toning.htm

Convert the image back to RGB if you need to add some color. Obviously grayscale mode won't work too well .
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

One method is to create a hue/saturation layer. Click on "colorize", adjust Hue to get the tone that you want (a value somewhere around 40 makes a nice sepia), and then adjust saturation to increase or decrease the intensity of the toning. I also like to set the blending mode of this layer to "color" to avoid effecting luminosity ("color" allows hue and saturation to change but not luminosity) You can create an action to make it easy to repeat for several images.

What Greg said, but remember that in order to colorize your grayscale scans you will have to change to RGB mode.

Also, if your grayscale images look unpleasantly cool, your display may be in need of calibration. Grayscale should appear neutral gray, not cool (bluish) gray.

~ Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith schreiber View Post
    Also, if your grayscale images look unpleasantly cool, your display may be in need of calibration. Grayscale should appear neutral gray, not cool (bluish) gray.

~ Keith
    I like sepia toned images. I notice when I'm working with a number of them (in "sepia mode") then look at an untoned greyscale image it looks blue! When my eyes adjust out of "sepia mode" untoned greyscale images go back to looking grey.

...Mike

Personally, I created a custom gradient map so that I could vary the intensity of tone and the hue as well across the range of tones. I don't know why I bothered really, but I felt like it made a bit of a difference.

Anyway, now I just apply the custom gradient map to my monochrome image (in color mode, because I slightly adjusted the luminosity unintentionally). Anyway, it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I like sepia toned images. I notice when I'm working with a number of them (in "sepia mode") then look at an untoned greyscale image it looks blue! When my eyes adjust out of "sepia mode" untoned greyscale images go back to looking grey.

...Mike
    No argument there, Mike. I like warm images too, warm prints in particular, which is why I do most of my wet printing with the platinum/palladium process using all palladium most of the time. And for digital printing I prefer Cone's Sepia inkset.

The part of my comment that you quoted, though, was in direct response to what the OP said about "the unpleasantly cool gray of a laptop screen." It need not be that way. Even if you don't have a Spyder or i1, calibration can be done with software tools in the OS. On Macs, it is System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate. On Windows, it is (or at least was last time I had a PC) Adobe Gamma.

For a more complete answer, I would ask the OP whether the purpose of altering the image hue is for on screen display only, or is it also for printing. If the latter, there may be better solutions, such as QTR and/or monochrome inksets, that should be explored.

~ Keith

You might find this article helpful: Photoshop Fill Layer

Very simple method I use.
    If you like split tone silver prints , a way to mimic is to change mode to RGB, open colour balance, add yellow to highlights, cyan/blue to shadow, and a slight red to taste to midtone.
    Very lovely tonalitys.

Quote Originally Posted by keith schreiber View Post
    No argument there, Mike. I like warm images too, warm prints in particular, which is why I do most of my wet printing with the platinum/palladium process using all palladium most of the time. And for digital printing I prefer Cone's Sepia inkset.

The part of my comment that you quoted, though, was in direct response to what the OP said about "the unpleasantly cool gray of a laptop screen." It need not be that way. Even if you don't have a Spyder or i1, calibration can be done with software tools in the OS. On Macs, it is System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate. On Windows, it is (or at least was last time I had a PC) Adobe Gamma.

For a more complete answer, I would ask the OP whether the purpose of altering the image hue is for on screen display only, or is it also for printing. If the latter, there may be better solutions, such as QTR and/or monochrome inksets, that should be explored.

~ Keith
    Adobe dropped Adobe Gamma a few iterations ago, somewhere around CS3 maybe. Which is good because it was mostly useless and probably gave some people a false sense of confidence that they had calibrated their monitor when they really hadn't.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.