Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Historical Camera

Re: Buying Historical Camera

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Ash & Kent, I was with two other members of this Forum yesterday and we talked about Lionel Hughes Photographica
    thanks for that link - didn't know about him..

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    thanks for that link - didn't know about him..
    He normally has more cameras (that we'd desire) than currently listed, he was spoken of very highly as being genuine & fair.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Ash & Kent, I was with two other members of this Forum yesterday and we talked about Lionel Hughes Photographica.

He usually has some good cameras and is very in tune with what are realistic prices, his TP Triple Imperial is a far better buy than the one Kent referred to, I particularly like the Houghton Empress at £160 ($262) but only because I already have 2 Houghton's of similar vintage.

Prices are very variable a Half plate TP Triple Imperial sold yesterday for £165 including the tripod legs (on ebay). Maybe not as good as the Lionel Hughes TP but very easily restorable.

Ian
    now I'm at a real loss here to identify those two guys

andrew

I bought a Thornton Pickard Ruby half plate field camera a few years ago for about $125. Nice wood and admirable craftsmanship for 110 years ago.

The clueless seller called it a 5x7 view camera, but half plate is smaller than 5x7.

There were a large number of obstacles to overcome, from getting film holders that work, to making a way to attach a modern lens, to repairing leaky brown paper bellows, to making a tripod mount to cover the huge hole in the bottom. Each of these was quite a challenge. I still haven't taken a photo with it.

If you are a tinkerer like I am, you will love stuff like this.
    If you want to make photos, maybe consider something else...

Jeff

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by jloen View Post
    If you are a tinkerer like I am, you will love stuff like this.
    If you want to make photos, maybe consider something else...

Jeff

Hmm. Wasn't aware they had paper bellows! What else is out there that might work for actually taking photos c.1890-1910? I intend to use older lenses with the roller blind shutter. The big hole on the bottom can be dealt with, I think. I still intend to keep my Shen Hao and use it as a primary camera.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Kent where there's a will there's a way.

This camera was given to me by a girl friend and sat on the mantle-piece for 15 or 16 years,

I've posted images of this camera before, anyway last year (while back in the UK) I suddenly decided to try and restore it on the spur of the moment, within a week to 10 days it was complete except for the new brass work. Hardest part was making the new bellows.

You couldn't get much worse than that to start with The bellows were a write off, the front standard was missing.

Cost wise the most expensive part was the new front standard which I had made by a local joinery shop, they made me some unrelated bits as well and I had to pay their minimum charge of £25 for an hours work. Bellow less than £5 with enough material etc for two more sets !!! screws, French polish etc another £5, I made my own stain to match the wood work, I'd guess a about £40 ($64) in total.

So hopefully this one might give you some inspiration

Ian

Foamer

Those British cameras are gorgeous and will likely tempt me more than I can resist! I just have to be careful in what I buy, and research it carefully. Thanks to all!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!