Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First meters: Old faithful or hi-tech whizz?

First meters: Old faithful or hi-tech whizz?

I have both the analogue and digital Pentax spotmeters. I like the digital because it is appreciably lighter and smaller than the analogue. The only problem is that in very bright light (sunlight on glaciers, for example), it can be extremely hard to read the led's. It's also sometimes easier to grasp the range of light with the analogue meter, simply because of the needle moving on the scale, and hence to make your exposure choice. For LF work, I think either meter is a good choice, and I have found them very reliable with E6.

For LF work, I think either meter is a good choice, and I have found them very reliable with E6.

What's your technique for metering E6 with a spotmeter?

Gavin,

For determination of the subject brightness range and placement of tones on varying zones you can't beat the graphic interface and elegant simplicity of the analogue scale on the Pentax spotmeters. I use a Zone VI modified digital for all my constant light source work in colour (commercially) and black & white (self-indulgently).

Placing values with the aid of the zone scale and reading off the suggested exposure setting is problem-free, direct and logical.

For the odd occassions when I use flash I have a Minolta Spotmeter F which works fine ... but all those buttons and procedures for clearing memory, setting new readings into memory and configuring the LCD display detract from the fluidity I derive working with the Pentax. The Sekonic (I have looked at it at times) is adorned with bells and whistles that I find obstructive and surplus to requirements. Work simply and hone your technique.

As for someone's query about colour and the spotmeter: I only shoot reversal and am never far of the mark working within the four stop range of Zone III to Zone VII.

That's my sales pitch over with ... WG

Gavin, I've used the Pentax Spotmeter V successfully with E6 for about 5 years. It's so quick & easy to use and while large and a little heavy, is very rugged for outdoor work. The only decision it leaves me to make is how to "place" the exposure. As Walter suggested, for E6 placing it between zone III and VII works well. I have drooled over the Sekonic catalogs, but can't really justify the cost until the day I need a flash meter. If there's a large price difference, the Pentax may be better value. Bear in mind however, you'd quickly get used to using the functions on the Sekonic, although I find the Pentax very 'visual' to use. Good luck whichever you choose.

As a fellow techie I can state emphatically that I love my seconic 508. It really is not too complicated, and the features are endless. I've found the cordless flash metering to be extremely handy, along with being able to enter a number of readings and calculate and average.(the zone system) It also meters incident and spot equally well. I am not familiar with the pentax spot so I cannot compare the two, but my sekonic is my most essential peice of equipment less the camera and film. Basically my votes for the sekonic, b/c if your gonna throw down the $ you might as well get something that will do everything you need now, and dozens of things you don't even know you need.

Jerry ; my approach is simple - try to keep everything within a 4 or 5 stop range, with highlights a maximum of 2 stops above the chosen exposure, and preferably 1 - 1.5 stops above. I occasionally use a ND grad 1 stop filter to manage the range of light. I've tried a number of E6 films, and still consider Astia to be the best around, with Velvia a close second. I really do not like the new Provia RDPIII, nor the Kodak offerings.