Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Another article to irritate people

Re: Another article to irritate people

Michael - please feel free to use as you choose. Glad you found it worthwhile.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Thank you.

On Practicing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    My photography will get better if I think more about what makes a good photograph and then trying to put those thoughts into action. Burning film at whatever presents itself will get me nowhere.

-Jack
    Then in essence, you are practicing to improve your photographic vision. You are not burning film at whatever presents itself, and neither was I implying that one aimlessly release the shutter.

I think that it is unfortunate that instead of acknowledging the positive aspects of a discussion, some would rather invalidate, find fault, take exception or poke holes.

The propensity to bicker and argue only turns off those who we may wish to attract to our art form and in some cases may lead to forming negative impressions of those we seek to learn from or seek advice.

As a newbie to LF and a member of this forum for over two years, I have come to accept that there is a small population of forum participants that are going to accentuate the negative no matter what and that we should just let them have their say without engaging in a tit for tat.

kevin4x5

From a Fred Picker newsletter but not written by Fred Picker

"A corollary of this point is that you cannot be a photography by aspiring to be one, or by learning everything there is to be known about photography. Photographers produce photographs. And many of them. like every other skill, photography is learned by continuous and dedicated practice"

Bruce, in addition to writing a nice article based partly on person experience, you have developed a good secret simple litmus test for identifying those who like to argue.

You'd have 70 pages instead of 7 if the article were about politics, morality, or theology.

Gee, I'd have thought I'd count myself among those "who like to argue." Aside from finding it a bit wordy, I actually appreciated the essay. I'm all for treating photography like the real and rigorous visual art that it is...

You'd have 70 pages instead of 7 if the article were about politics, morality, or theology.
    Actually you'd have 0 pages as the whole thread would be deleted.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by John Voss View Post
    One of the reasons I post here so rarely is that I simply can't stand the bickering that seems to arise so often. When is the last time anyone witnessed somebody actually change their mind, or apologize and recant. Who cares if you're disagreed with? It's all so petty and stupid.
    Hi John, nice to hear from you again.

Agreed, this forum has recently been hijacked by those who prefer analysis to production. I find myself straying as a contributor, as ego seems to have replaced civil conversation.

Bruce, thanks for your current and past contributions to the forum and may your passion for making photographs continue.

Yes, I agree. The same people, who never contribute a picture, are always right and just go on ad infinitum. More pictures please, even practice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Then in essence, you are practicing to improve your photographic vision. You are not burning film at whatever presents itself, and neither was I implying that one aimlessly release the shutter.

I think that it is unfortunate that instead of acknowledging the positive aspects of a discussion, some would rather invalidate, find fault, take exception or poke holes.

The propensity to bicker and argue only turns off those who we may wish to attract to our art form and in some cases may lead to forming negative impressions of those we seek to learn from or seek advice.

As a newbie to LF and a member of this forum for over two years, I have come to accept that there is a small population of forum participants that are going to accentuate the negative no matter what and that we should just let them have their say without engaging in a tit for tat.
    I guess I'm wondering why your comment about invalidation, bickering etc. appears to be aimed at me. I thought my comments were fairly balanced. The fact that I used the word burn as you did a few posts above me was purely coincidental. I thin there are many occasions where people mis-interpret ordinary and innocent comments as negative or even offensive. It is good to give people the benefit of the doubt.