Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why do you shoot 8x10?

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Why do you shoot 8x10?

I think just the act of shooting the 8x10" camera leads to slowed, labored and less production more then anything else..!
    Jury is still out on whether or not it makes me a better photographer, could be that it's costing be great shots..?
    Shame we can't all shoot like Richard Avadon and blow through hundreds of 8x10" exposures in a day..
    Needless to say I get less exposures with the 11x14" camera..
    steve

For me, 8x10 represents a stronger commitment to the image.

And besides, looking at an image on that big-ass piece of glass is just cool!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

My 8x10 is my most used camera. It is light and easy to set up and I "see" with this format. I contact print in carbon transfer and 8x10 gives me a great contact print size. If I wish to go bigger, and frequently do, I take out the 11x14, 8x20 and 14x17 all which I built myself. Very rewarding bringing back images with the camera you've made. Also, the great lenses out there for these formats make it ideal and x-ray film is cheap!!!

I like 8x10 ... and it does slow me down and make me more critical of what I'm shooting. BUT ... and I think it's a big BUT ... I miss shots that I would have taken with 4x5 because of the weight/size/cost. And, because I don't have an 8x10 enlarger, I cannot really crop or adapt the photos ... so I still think I'm much better off with a 4x5.

BUT ... yup, another BUT ... I also like to print in carbon so ... I'm sort of stuck with 8x10 for carbon printing ........ so I adapt.

All that being said ... all the thinking and adapting that is required definitely makes me a better photographer. Oh yeah, and I just bought a 1/2 interest in an 11x14 ... so I should become really smart and creative ......... yeah, RIGHT!!!

I hate the rectangularity 810, I have one and admire the image sharpness when good I have printed 24x30, but a longer image appeals to me. Toying with selling what currenly I have. Tachihara!
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Greg, you may try using 18x24cm film holders in your 8x10 camera. I believe the outer dimensions of the standard film holders are the same.

As for myself - I am currently jumping into this (18x24) format - because in these parts it is easier to get 18x24cm light-sensitive material than 8x10inch. And the reason are of course contact prints - cyano, gum and hopefully carbon some time soon as well.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Greg, why not crop to a format that you like? It's not like you're running out of area.

Myself, I like my Calumet C-3 8x10 monorail because it's just so versatile! Huge negative, fabulous movements, reducing back, and under 20lbs. This is the start of camera sizes that invoke awe!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Because my 24x30cm camera needs new bellows.

90% of the enlargements I make, from every film size from 35mm to 5x7", end up as 24x30cm prints. 8x10" is just a little bit too small - I sometimes think that 5x7" may actually work better as contact prints than 8x10". But 8x10" is a great size, there's no denying that. If only I get around to getting new bellows for the 24x30cm one..

it sounds like the logistics and the time it takes to make an image, and perhaps nostalgia for earlier eras, is the dealbreaker (i shoot 4x5, but it's the same for me too).

but i'm wondering if there is any other reason other than the photographer's personal enjoyment in the process that really give it value?

when people ask me why i go to the trouble, it's hard for me to give them any answer other than "why not?". which is enough for me. i don't really know why i've opted for large format...
    aaronamodt.com

i guess i'm looking for a more conceptual basis for my hobby
    aaronamodt.com