Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 8x20

Shooting 8x20

Hey Guys,
    I'm pretty new to this forum but have been really admiring the huge amount of knowledge and amazing work you have all done, its very inspirational for me.
    I'm currently studying photography at a technical college and have been shooting a lot of 120 and 4x5. I've really only been studying and shooting for about 100 hours working on 4x5's (using and only shot about 10 rolls of Velvia 120. Other than that my background was totally in digital photography before then. I know it probably sounds crazy but I'd like to make the jump straight to 8x20 and I have no clue what to expect. I'm at a total loss for decent information about shooting 8x20 or even 8x10.
    I've got a budget of about $1000 AUD/USD. I'd really like to shoot on Velvia 50 if that's even possible..
    Any advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated. I'm 20 years old and eager to learn everything I can and have great respect for this forum.
    Thanks in advance guys

Re: Shooting 8x20

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind Pig View Post
    I've got a budget of about $1000 AUD/USD.
    That's not realistic for 8x20. With careful choice of used equipment you can assemble a basic 8x10 outfit.

I'd really like to shoot on Velvia 50 if that's even possible..
    Not in 8x20. You can do color transparency in 8x10, though at $15-20 per sheet for film plus processing, and with the narrow exposure latitude of transparency film and the inevitable mistakes in learning to use the big camera, it can get very expensive very quickly.

The big cameras are great, but especially on a limited budget, it's probably best to start with B&W and see where that takes you.

What Oren said. Three 8x20 film holders alone would blow your entire budget.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

There Is a 7x17 kit for sale In the classifieds ( u will see them next month). It is like 1600$. This may be q better format as the equipment like film holders film and lenses are easier to aquire at a lower price.

Pano Formats are great. Expect to shoot b&w films though. If u want to shoot chromes use 8x10
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for the quick replies guys,
    What do you think would be a realistic budget for a (half decent) 8x20 + lens + 1 film holder? Could somebody give me some examples of each? (not for sale, unless you already know some for sale or a rough sale price) so i can do some research while I continue to practice and save up?

Cheers eddie,
    Excuse my ignorance but why is that?

Cheers eddie,
    Excuse my ignorance but why is that?
    Why is what?

Complete pano kit for 8x20 with some b&w film will likely run you $4500-6000. Or so.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hey Guys,
    I'm pretty new to this forum but have been really admiring the huge amount of knowledge and amazing work you have all done, its very inspirational for me.
    I'm currently studying photography at a technical college and have been shooting a lot of 120 and 4x5. I've really only been studying and shooting for about 100 hours working on 4x5's (using and only shot about 10 rolls of Velvia 120. Other than that my background was totally in digital photography before then. I know it probably sounds crazy but I'd like to make the jump straight to 8x20 and I have no clue what to expect. I'm at a total loss for decent information about shooting 8x20 or even 8x10.
    I've got a budget of about $1000 AUD/USD. I'd really like to shoot on Velvia 50 if that's even possible..
    Any advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated. I'm 20 years old and eager to learn everything I can and have great respect for this forum.
    Thanks in advance guys
    ............well I certainly respect your ambition and guts to jump straight in at 8x20, great i'm very impressed as well

Eddie of course is dead right, an 8x20 kit is going to take some serious financing and there will also be some weighty shipping costs depending on where both you and the kit are located

not wishing to slightly derail you but had you considered the slightly smaller pano format of 4x10 - film is a lot cheaper and there are dedicated new cameras available at that size and any lens which will cover 8x10 should also be available to cover 4x10

don't forget that lenses which will cover 8x20 do not come cheap either and the possibilities are far more limited (when compared to lenses for 8x10) - 8x20 film isn't exactly 'an over the counter purchase' whereas 8x10 (cut down is)

best of luck and regards

andrew

Lachlan 717

Where are you located, Blind Pig?

There might be people close who can show you camera(s).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Did you google 8x20 camera at all to get an idea what you are up against? Here is Canham's ultra large camera page - the 8x20 as you can see runs well over US$ 6,000, not including any holders or a lens http://www.canhamcameras.com/larger.htm . Used 8x20 kits rarely show up for sale and even if they do, they still cost an arm and a leg.

You need to be more realistic with your goals! 4x10 might be doable close to your budget. Oh, and forget color film for the time being - the film and processing alone would bring your budget to its knees.
    Juergen