Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanning and Other Services of Interest to LF Photographers

Re: Scanning and Other Services of Interest to LF Photographers

It is made from real Fuji slide film... The black and white product will be made using ilford FP4 that is reversal processed.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Ok I give up, is this a backlight RA4 Product, backlight inkjet product, backlight Ciba product??

What Black and white film are you using to produce the pos??

Very good, I imagine the size is limiting for the colour, I use to make 16x20 e6 photocomps, but haven't see that around for awhile.
    I make silver positives and negatives using ortho 24, really nice.
    You must be using a Kodak image setter for your work or LVT recorder>
    send your files over as inverted and you may not have to do the reversal process.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sieverding View Post
    It is made from real Fuji slide film... The black and white product will be made using ilford FP4 that is reversal processed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Affordable Drum Scans done on a very high quality high volume drum scanner

www.DiscountDrumScans.com

Ken,
    My scans are actually cheaper than theirs.... and on a Premier... I only quote the 1.7 Gig size... because that's how I look at things - from the top-quality, scan-it-only-once perspective.

There are a number of other community members here who do scans. I think if one is going to list scanning resources, we ought to invite everyone here to submit their offerings as well. At the moment, I am thinking of Bruce Watson, who has been posting and answering questions on the topic for years... and there are many others. I know Sandy King has also had a lot to contribute... altho' I don't think he does scans for others... (I hope I'm right about that.)

If there's a reasonably competitive option I'd rather buy the products and services I need from a LF'er than an alternative.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I am thinking of Bruce Watson, who has been posting and answering questions on the topic for years.
    Too late Lenny, but thanks. My service was geared to LFers only, and the mods wouldn't let me offer services to the group like they've done themselves for this guy. Go figure.

I played by the rules as they were at the time, but word of mouth wasn't enough; I couldn't generate enough business to keep the doors open. Less choice in the marketplace, but more work for you maybe.

Bruce Watson

My eldest son owns and operates DiscountDrumScans.com, he is a very bright and courteous young man with lots of experience in photography and photography related technology.

Both my wife and I were fortunate enough to have been able to attend MIT many years ago. Regrettably my eldest son was not able to attend college, not because he wasn’t smart enough, but because he chose to stay home with us and help with the family business. We are immensely grateful for his assistance, and for everything he has done for the family. Everything our son does makes us proud. He is and has been very interested in photography. He has spent much of the last 7 years learning about photography and the related technology. He does shoot LF with several viewcamera’s including an 11x14 studio Deardorff, although he does not shot professionally.

My son has used and tested many professional scanners, including the one from Aztek, before finally choosing the Primescan 8400 for his scanning services. He said he found the noise level and dynamic range to be better on the Heidelberg. He mentioned that there might be some uses for the Aztek with certain 35mm and medium format films but that for large format that the Primescan 8400 is as good if not better in his opinion. The larger drums and drum-changing robot allows for more productivity; he hopes will lead to increased savings for the customer.

He offers a price match guarantee to insure that his customers receive the lowest possible prices. My son understands how important customer satisfaction is in business and he believes that the customer always-right approach is the best one. He is very talented and extremely good at what he does. I hope this forum gives him a chance to show what he can contribute to the large format community.

Ken,
    My scans are actually cheaper than theirs.... and on a Premier... I only quote the 1.7 Gig size... because that's how I look at things - from the top-quality, scan-it-only-once perspective.

There are a number of other community members here who do scans. I think if one is going to list scanning resources, we ought to invite everyone here to submit their offerings as well. At the moment, I am thinking of Bruce Watson, who has been posting and answering questions on the topic for years... and there are many others. I know Sandy King has also had a lot to contribute... altho' I don't think he does scans for others... (I hope I'm right about that.)

If there's a reasonably competitive option I'd rather buy the products and services I need from a LF'er than an alternative.

Lenny

Also, Ken was nice enough put this single thread on the site to allow my son and I to have some exposure for our new services. We appreciate this very much...

As I understand it, you have “plugged” you scanning service in dozens of threads on this website. I believe you already have enough exposure and that you might not need to seek more exposure on this thread.

Ken,

Lenny

Thanks for the advice regarding the black and white process. We may decide to use a look up table that inverts the image for negative processing methods. One advantage of reversal processing is that we can send the film over to Doug Wood and have him process it as a Sepia slide.

We have many film recorders at our disposal including a few LVT’s. The size is limited in color although we have a freezer full of 11x14 Provia that is intended for the service. We really hope the product is successful as we think the galleries will love it... Imagine a print that glows and has more resolution then the sharpest eye can see.

If the service sells well we have plans to use another “secret media” that will give us more than 10 times the Density range of Velvia, increased sharpness, and will be available for output in sizes up to 50x120 inches. The cost will be lower per inch however we won’t be able to migrate to this new media until we see a real demand for our current product.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Very good, I imagine the size is limiting for the colour, I use to make 16x20 e6 photocomps, but haven't see that around for awhile.
    I make silver positives and negatives using ortho 24, really nice.
    You must be using a Kodak image setter for your work or LVT recorder>
    send your files over as inverted and you may not have to do the reversal process.

Lenny
    I don't offer scanning services.

Sorry to hear that Bruce Watson's service did not work out. He did some good sample scans for me, and returned the negatives nice and clean.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Mr Eiger,

I have been thinking about it and it might be a good idea for the mods to make an impartial list of non-sponsored scanning resources somewhere on this site... Just a list, not a thread. What do you think?

We would love to hear more honest reactions to our backlit photo product.

I hope the product is accepted in the Fine Art community because the media can really help bring out the radiant beauty of great images.