Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scanning and Other Services of Interest to LF Photographers

Re: Scanning and Other Services of Interest to LF Photographers

Quote Originally Posted by David Sieverding View Post
    We would love to hear more honest reactions to our backlit photo product.

I hope the product is accepted in the Fine Art community because the media can really help bring out the radiant beauty of great images.
    Are these backlit or what?

Yes they are! They have a D-max of 3.4 which produces a 2500:1 contrast ratio. The product is analog, not digital, although the output is made with digital files.

A reflective print is limited to a contrast ratio of maybe 190:1 on supergloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Are these backlit or what?

There is already a link to Commercial LF Resources on the main page to the site. Perhaps it needs a maintainer if it hasn't been updated lately. Are you volunteering?

Mr. Eiger has gained credibility here by his expert contributions on the subject. If I need his services he won't be hard to find. If you or your son or hopefully both become regular contributers then I think the same will hold true for you. It takes time to build business.

Good luck with your endeavors, sounds like some very interesting products.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sieverding View Post
    Mr Eiger,

I have been thinking about it and it might be a good idea for the mods to make an impartial list of non-sponsored scanning resources somewhere on this site... Just a list, not a thread. What do you think?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Mr. Eiger has gained credibility here by his expert contributions on the subject. If I need his services he won't be hard to find. If you or your son or hopefully both become regular contributers then I think the same will hold true for you. It takes time to build business.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

It's interesting to note that Ken used his standing as a moderator on this forum to recommend their services to its members without personally vouching for their work. Their service may be the best thing since slice bread but I wouldn't recommend it personally until I have tried it.

Thomas

Kevin Kolosky

He didn't "recommend" anything. He merely said who they were and what they provided.

Furthermore, anyone could have posted the same thing. There was no misuse of the moderator position.

Competition is a good thing. It makes all of those providing a product or a service better, and gives the consumer a choice.

Ken didn't recommend anything, but I will. Lenny has done some scans of 4x5 for me and I have to say that they are the best I have ever had. Not to say that I have tried everyone, but I have used quite a few scanning services and am not bad myself and Lenny was the best.

Second point.............."standing as a moderator"? Effectiveness as a moderator and expertise as a photographer are and should be entirely different beasts. AS A PHOTOGRAPHER I would take Ken's advice on anything photographically very serious, but that is unrelated to his performance as a moderator (which IMO is superior also).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Ken didn't recommend anything, but I will.
    Kirk, Thank you. Also thanks to the others as well, who had good things to say.

I think of this place as a community... rather than just a forum. There are plenty of other forums that don't feel that way to me. LF'ers may have their disagreements, sometimes even heated, but somehow there is a lot of appreciation for what we have all gone through to get our images. (Or maybe I shouldn't try to explain it.) Glad to be here....

I like the idea very much of supporting each other... and having a section for "non-sponsored" offerings.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Second point.............."standing as a moderator"? Effectiveness as a moderator and expertise as a photographer are and should be entirely different beasts. AS A PHOTOGRAPHER I would take Ken's advice on anything photographically very serious, but that is unrelated to his performance as a moderator (which IMO is superior also).
    Thanks. Ken deserves great credit as a very fair minded moderators who goes to great lengths to respect the opinions of others. And the only thing I see him trying to sell is good craftmanship.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I've gotten drum scans from this guy in NYC many times and have found them to be excellent.
    http://drumscanning.com/rates.html
    (I have no connection to him, other than as a customer)