Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling and LF gear – interesting new bag/backpack from Ortlieb

Thomas

Cycling and LF gear – interesting new bag/backpack from Ortlieb

For those who like to combine cycling and large format photography there is an interesting new bag/backpack combination out there. It is called Ortlieb Vario, for details check www.ortlieb.com. First it is a regular rear bicycle bag that can be mounted on the rear rack. Second, it contains a backpack soft frame and can be converted into a backpack just in seconds. When not in use the backpack frame is stowed away in an outside pouch.

The Ortlieb Vario is not really geared towards photography or large format in any particular way. But when I heard about this new bag/backpack combination I decided to give it a shot. I have experimented with many different options for carrying LF gear on a bicycle in the past, on short and long trips. On the one hand the gear should sit on the bicycle rack when cycling, on the other hand I still need the option to carry the equipment into the field, without the bicycle, preferably in some sort of backpack. So a bag/backpack combination is what I really need.

I have used the Ortlieb Vario now on a number of trips, short daytrips as well as longer trips (3-5 days). I am very pleased, I have to say. It seems like I have really found a working solution for me. Particularly, if I can place the bicycle near the shot location I can work off the bag on the rear rack which works almost like a little studio table. And the conversion between bag and backpack is done very quickly indeed.

My LF gear that goes into the bag (with some room left):
    - Camera: Linhof Technika IV
    - Four lenses (135mm Symmar, 90mm Grandagon, 360mm Apo Ronar, 250mm Imagon with all the masks, the 135mm Symmar can be carried inside the camera and does not need a special lens bag)
    - Four Grafmatic holders (that is 24 shots, enough for any day trip)
    - Gaoersi 8x loupe
    - A set of 5-6 Lee filters (without the holder, I just hold the filters in front of the lens with my hand)
    - Darkcloth
    - Sekonic 608 meter
    - Other little things like cable releases, pencil and so on

The tripod will go on the bicycle rack and I carry it in my hands when I take a walk.

Those who are into bicycle touring have probably heard about Ortlieb already. They have a solid reputation for durable and waterproof gear. This new product should be no different.

What could be improved (maybe some of the Ortlieb guys will read this and listen):
    - The backpack frame is not a full frame, there is no hip belt/pad which one would expect from a full-fledged backpack. Nevertheless, the backback is fairly comfortable, even on longer walks.
    - I would really like some robust outside straps to attach the tripod on a walk.

Just for the record: I am in no way affiliated with Ortlieb and I haven’t gotten any discounts on the item from them. But I really like this new bag/backpack.

Greetings, Thomas

Re: Cycling and LF gear – interesting new bag/backpack from Ortlieb

Danke, Thomas,

it sure looks interesting. Do you have any pictures of your bike with all your gear attached - incl. the tripod? I'm very curious about this.
    Juergen

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

That is an excellent product Thomas. Thank you for the post!

I've done both short weekend tours and several month long tours but have restricted myself to 35mm which I could just put in the handlebar bag along with a few lens, wallet, etc. But this opens up the prospect of bringing along a MF or my lightweight LF kit (Toyo 45CF) and instead of hand carrying the handlebar bag with the camera, just put the "pack" on my back. Neat!

My regular tripod is a Gitzo G1348 w/Arca Swiss BH which is overkill for the 45CF and a litle on the hefty side at ~6lbs with the BH. Which tripod do you take with you on tours? Do you pack it perpendicular or parallel with the bike on the rear rack?

Thomas

Thomas

Juergen, Thomas,

I will provide pictures of the bicycle and equipment tomorrow.

As for the tripod: I usually take a Manfrotto 190DB with a 486RC2 ballhead on the tour. It sits on the rear rack, parallel to the bicycle.

Greetings, Thomas

I've used Ortlieb motorcycle saddlebags and can say they're very well made & waterproof. They close up like a dry bag, the top rolls down & is clipped shut.

Thomas

A few pictures to illustrate how I load the bags and bicycle:

I. Daytrip configuration: Ortlieb Vario for the LF gear, tripod on the rear rack, handlebar bag for bicycle repair kit, sunglasses, maps etc.

II. Close-up on Ortlieb Vario bag and tripod. The tripod is held by an elastic strap, and the packaging material prevents the tripod from rattling and scratching on the rear rack.

III. Configuration for a multi-day trip: same as daytrip configuration, plus additional bags on the rear and front rack. Mostly for clothings, I also carry an additional daylight changing bag plus film boxes in one of the front bags.

IV. This is how I load the LF gear into the Ortlieb Vario. From the bottom: first three lenses in lens bags (90mm Grandagon, 360mm Apo Ronar, 250mm Imagon), then the first pair of Grafmatic holders plus a pinhole “lens”, then the darkcloth and the Lee filters, then the camera (Linhof Technika with Symmar 135mm lens inside) and the second pair of Grafmatic holders, finally the Sekonic light meter plus the loupe. The miscellaneous little things (on the left hand) go into a small pouch inside the bag. In this order I can set up in a fairly straightforward way in the field, from top of the bag to the bottom.

Greetings, Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Neat!

Your setup is a lot like mine except that I don't carry front Panniers - too much weight and cross winds tend to pull the front wheel out of your hand. Not bringing front Panniers means that I have to wash clothes more frequently.

I also bring along a tent and Thermo rest air mattress. I pack the tent and air mattress in a lightweight bag just large enough lengthwise to accommodate the air mattress on the rear rack along with the tent, fuel bottle, stove, bicycle pump and whatever else will fit. Looks like I could pack the tripod on top and include a Harrison tent in the bag along with the tent and air mattress. The 150mm lens folds up with the camera and I could bring a Nikkor 300mm M and 90mm Grandagon, a few filters, maybe 5 holders, 100 sheet boxes of film…etc and make use of the handlebar bag and the one remaining rear Pannier for clothes, stove, etc.

Interesting! Thanks again for posting this. I guess that the next step would be to see the Ortlieb Vario live and if it still looks good, buy it and take a weekend trip.

Thomas

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

For those of you going on a shorter range trip, here's a few photos of my bicycle and gear.

Dahon Curve D3, Lone Peak RP-700 expandable rack pack, and Benbo Trekker tripod.
    Inside, there's a Graflex Super Graphic, Sekonic meter, four film holders in the blue bag, and a Grafmatic in the bubble pouch.

I got out for a bit, made some photos, and then it started raining.

Color me very interested. Someday I'm going to have to start putting the gear on the bike rather than on my back, but for now I'm still doing fine with my various bags. The Chrome Warsaw I recently picked up has been fantastic so far, though I haven't used much for photography yet. This Ortlieb bag may be on my wish list.

I use a Topeak MTX TrunkBag with expandable side panniers along with the MTX cargo rack. I love it. The best part about it is you can slide the whole thing off in seconds and it comes with a shoulder strap. It's basically like a dockable camera bag. No problem fitting a Graflex and film holders in the main pocket.