Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What formula are you using for Divided D-23?

hacker extraordinaire

Re: What formula are you using for Divided D-23?

The batch lasted months. I just mixed up 1 gallon of d23 in a glass 1 gallon jug, and 1/2 gallon of replenisher. While developing, put 20mL of replenisher per roll into the jug. When you pour the used developer back into the jug, it will not fit due to the replenisher; so you just dump that little bit. I would do this until all the replenisher was used. So about 100 rolls per gallon.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

awesome, thanks for the idea!

so you were using it straight then?

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The batch lasted months. I just mixed up 1 gallon of d23 in a glass 1 gallon jug, and 1/2 gallon of replenisher. While developing, put 20mL of replenisher per roll into the jug. When you pour the used developer back into the jug, it will not fit due to the replenisher; so you just dump that little bit. I would do this until all the replenisher was used. So about 100 rolls per gallon.
    Last edited by stawastawa; 13-May-2014 at 00:17. Reason: another question....
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

I don't think dilution is possible with replenishment.

hacker extraordinaire

Yes I used it straight. I developed tri-X for 8 minutes. I don't remember if that was 20C or room temperature. Development time is very forgiving with this developer, I would err toward overdeveloping and never had any trouble with blown highlights.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    I use recipe that is modified from stoeckler by Thornton.
    Never really have compared different D-23 variations, nor have seen any comparison.
    Recipe is here: http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/archives/115 and http://www.awh-imaging.co.uk/barrythornton/2bath.htm
    The two sites have slightly different versions of Thornton's formula. The first, www.photosensitive.ca/wp/archives/115, is the latest version. The other, www.awh-imaging.co.uk/barrythornton/2bath.htm, is an earlier version. This was confirmed to me by Barry Thornton before he passed away.

Thornton felt this formula was preferable to stock DD23 because of the reduced level of sodium sulphite. He felt that 100g/L of sodium sulphite decreased sharpness in an attempt to achieve fine grain. He used 80g/L instead, the aim being to enhance sharpness.

I have successfully used a slightly different variation of Thornton's formula. My variant splits the sodium sulphite so that I use 40g/L in each bath. I read that David Vestal did this in his version of DD76 and thought to try it in Thornton's formula. I reasoned that this would reduce the amount of development in Bath A, due to the greatly reduced concentration of the reducer (sodium sulphite). I have never tested just the A bath to see what happens, but my negatives come out just fine with this version, so I have made it my standard. It works well for rotary development diluted 1:1, per Sandy King's article on divided developers in View Camera Magazine. I use the undiluted version for tray development in a slosher. It works very well.

now that I have decided to mix up some dk25-r I can't seem to find any sodium hydroxide (to use in kodalk substitution)

any recomendations for where to go find some?
    specifically in the Portland, OR area

~n
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

hi guys
    i am restoring this old old thread to ask a couple of questions.
    i am trying 2 Bath D23 for the first time (actually B&W processing first time ever (i have done only color so far) ,

my question is :

Assuming that i am going to develop 4x5 on a paterson tank (i liter is required by the tank)
    Each version of the formula for D23 (bath A) and for Bath B produce 1 liter .

1- for both A and B , do i have to diluite ? like 1:1 when i use it ?
    2- can i reuse Bath A without the use of replenisher ? is am so confused because some say they process many rolls with it but i am not sure if is because dry diluite a lot
    3- if i can refuse it , is there a quantity of sheets i can process before it exhaust? is this quantity based on the ratio of dilution ? , and there is any difference on this regard if i process 1 sheet at the time vs 6 sheets at once ?
    4- can i reuse bath B ?

thanks, and sorry for the basic questions , i guess al my doubts come from the fact that the info i can get only always talks about "how many reel " etc , but never mention dilution , size of the tank , etc...

thanks!
    g

David Schaller

Well put Ken, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Well put Ken, as always.
    ???

my post was the first after over a year ... what do you refer to ?

g

Dave Karp

Gabriele,

There is lots of good information available on this site, so Google or use the search function. That said, this might be the best article on the subject: http://www.tmax100.com/photo/pdf/devforscan.pdf.

You have to slide down a couple of pages past the ads to get to the article.