Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What formula are you using for Divided D-23?

Kevin Kolosky

Re: What formula are you using for Divided D-23?

There are a lot of folks that post here who closely followed the writings of Fred Picker from Zone VI studios. Of course, there are a lot of folks here who didn't like his photography and didn't like his methods either.

Nevertheless, it seems, from what I have read, that he pretty much stuck with the same developer and film combination throughout most of his career. I have not seen anything written by him about D-23, but then I don't profess to have read everything he wrote.

Since so many folks like D-23 and are able to point out objective reasons why it is "better" than other developers, I wonder why he didn't like it.

Which leads to the question. Why is D-23 "better" (objectively) that what he used, which was, I believe, HC-110?

You might find it interesting to know that HC-110 has changed several times over the years. I don't have my copy of Anchell's The Darkroom Cookbook handy, but I recall his detailing some of the changes to the formula. Sometimes a formula is changed to improve image quality. Other times it is changed to make it more profitable or easier to manufacture and store. Developers are like lenses in this regard: there have been several "Tessars" and "Heliars" for example.

I learned about HC-110 from Fred in 1970. He had been introduced to it by Ansel Adams a few years previously. Keep in mind that it wasn't just HC-110 for Fred (and others): it was part of an entire constellation of methods and equipment - which originated with Ansel - and were subsequently developed and refined, so to speak.

It wasn't just HC-110: it was the specific combination of HC-110 and Tri-X.

I like the simplicity of D-23: it has only 2 ingredients. I have never tested it rigorously. I stumbled upon it when comparing Divided D-23 and Pyrocat formulas, and use it with TMY and HP5+. It's good enough that I can concentrate on finding attractive subjects, which is often more important in the long run.

I myself would have no problem using HC-110 and Tri-X again. For Large Format in particular, it's hard to find anything better. It was Ansel's favorite combination for a long time too.

Ansel also liked D-23, back in 1944. You can read about this image in Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs, pp. 164: "I used my 8x10 Ansco view camera with the 23-inch component of my Cooke Series XV lens with a Wratten No. 15 (G) filter. The film was Isopan, developed in Kodak D-23".

When I studied with Fred in those days, he had an original copy of that photograph in his home gallery.

Winter Sunrise from Lone Pine
    Ansel Adams, 1944
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-Jun-2011 at 09:24.

I personally use Divided D-23. Only reason is the economy when compared to D-23. They are almost identical and prints don't show any difference.

Bath A - 1000ml
    Metol: 5g
    Sodium Sulfite: 100g

Bath B - 500ml
    Sodium Metaborate: 7.5g

Three minutes continuous agitation in Bath A and initial continous agitation for 30s and agitate for 10s on every 30th second, for 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I personally use Divided D-23. Only reason is the economy when compared to D-23. They are almost identical and prints don't show any difference.

Bath A - 1000ml
    Metol: 5g
    Sodium Sulfite: 100g

Bath B - 500ml
    Sodium Metaborate: 7.5g

Three minutes continuous agitation in Bath A and initial continous agitation for 30s and agitate for 10s on every 30th second, for 3 minutes.
    Does the economy refers to the 5g of Metol instead og the 7.5g in the AA's formula?
    Would it not be compensated by not using the Sodium Metaborate as it is a one bath?
    I have been playing around with the divided formula between Thornton 6.5g Metol and AA 7.5g. I have found that the first would give me uneven development but that the later would be reasonnably consistent.
    I have not ried yet the non-divided as I want to nail my times for the divided before I make changes again.

Cheers,
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

With 1l of Bath A, I can develop 24 rolls of 120 film.

For me it is economical compare to D-23, which can only develop 4 rolls of 120 film @1:1.

Never really look beyond the Divided D-23 where I can make the second bath either with Borax or Sodium metaborate or Sodium carbonate depending on required contrast and grain.

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    With 1l of Bath A, I can develop 24 rolls of 120 film.

For me it is economical compare to D-23, which can only develop 4 rolls of 120 film @1:1.

Never really look beyond the Divided D-23 where I can make the second bath either with Borax or Sodium metaborate or Sodium carbonate depending on required contrast and grain.
    Got it.
    I cannot use full strength as I use rotary processing and it is too fast acting. The first time I tried I had uneven development marks where I think the developer start to be poured in the Jobo.
    I use 1:1 divided as a one shot developer.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Source for the formula: Darkroom Cookbook.

Happily honing the composition and printing skills.

hacker extraordinaire

When I used D23 I replenished it with something...DK-25r was the formula I remember. It was very economical that way. I think I got 30 or more rolls out of a liter. I assumed everyone did so...metol and sulfite are too expensive to use only once.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Yes, that's DK-25r. Can be replenished @22ml for a 80 sq.inch of film.

It contains Metol 10g, Sodium Sulfite 100g and Balanced Alkali 20g. I presume BA is Sodium Metaborate.

Regarding replenishment, were you developing many rolls at once? or could the used developer be stored and replenished some 2 week later for developing the next set of film?

I've been using D23 1:1 as a one shot developer as well, and extending it's life would be nice, as I generally only develop 4 sheets of 4x5 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    When I used D23 I replenished it with something...DK-25r was the formula I remember. It was very economical that way. I think I got 30 or more rolls out of a liter. I assumed everyone did so...metol and sulfite are too expensive to use only once.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail