Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: My Century 10A Restoration

Re: My Century 10A Restoration

You can remove quite a lot from the base of the two supports to change the angle - there is enough metal there. But large soft metal washers would work just as well.

Ok I got my Proper lead screw and a chance to play on the lathe. So I will be able to finally fit all my parts ant test the table tilt mech.

Now I cam sleep at night knowing, I didn't just settle. I want this to at least from a distance look like a real master stand when I am done.

I have a lead on some original film holder pockets, so things are looking up. I wont have to the and match the wood from scratch. But I will have to strip off some grey paint again. Not like I haven't dont that before.;O))

Coming along, got to spend a few hours working on the restoration. I believer it looks more like a master now. Still not 100% but much closer. I need to make my crank arm, I made the handle already.

The stand functions like a champ. Has a ton of angle adjustment. I can turn the lead screw easily with my fingers to make adjustment. With the camera on it is still easy, When I have the handle it will be super east.

I can finally get along with refinishing the wood and matching the stains, ect....

I used red oak in some of spots where strength is needed, (the angle brace,) I plan to use body filer on the brackets and make them look good before I paint them.

I had to use washers under the acme thread brackets. I might cut some brass rods and hollow them out as a stand off's to get the proper angle instead of washers. There is no way to could remove enough material on the bottom to get the proper angle. A 10A and Master studio stand are way way different.

Now my mistakes will help all who follow, if they dare to try a restoration. You cant tell there is any sort of problem (with the brackets(gaps on the back side) when the table top is on and it is in working orientation.

See what you think
    Bottom support installed

Angle brace fitted

Under table cross brace and hinge attach point

Table fitted and level

Some Tilt, no effort at all.

And the camera on the table. I think the table is the perfect length.

akfreak,

Would you like a .dxf or .dwg of the crank handle? I developed the profile in Autocad, and if you are going to waterjet it you can probably go directly from the file.

Harold

Harold I work with several 3D packages, I have it in a .obj file, thanks AKf

Thanks for the offer, I have it as a .obj file type. I am not into cad but I am a 3d motion graphics artist so making a file in a 3d packages was easy. I just needed the shape and edge profiles..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    I'm guessing it's too late since it seems you already have the parts but acetal ( Delrin ) comes in
    black, Polytetrafluorethylene ( Teflon ) is going to be difficult if not impossible to paint.
    I wanted to respond, Nylon can be boiled any Dyed to any color. When I said Teflon,I meant to say a nylon type of material. I have a big block of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    akfreak,

Would you like a .dxf or .dwg of the crank handle? I developed the profile in Autocad, and if you are going to waterjet it you can probably go directly from the file.

Harold
    Harold, if you have already made the file, can I peek at it, it would save time for me if you already did it, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    I wanted to respond, Nylon can be boiled any Dyed to any color. When I said Teflon,I meant to say a nylon type of material. I have a big block of it.
    Nylon can be dyed, but the dye only penetrates so much, in your case
    it's a hidden area so it'll be fine.
    I have a large block of white delrin I bought years ago that I've been
    slowly whittling away at for various work projects. Always good to have
    a stock of materials handy.