Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 x 10 film hangers - where to find them ?

8 x 10 film hangers - where to find them ?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am wondering where I can purchase or find 8 x 10 film hangers. Also, if anyone can recommend some daylight tanks that would work with these hangers ?

Re: 8 x 10 film hangers - where to find them ?

The hangers may be hard to find. They show up here in the For Sale section occasionally.

You might want to research the tanks. They require a huge amount of chemistry. Standard 12 or 14 sheet tanks take 3 1/2 gallons.

Although tanks are still available from mailorder houses, they're awfully expensive.

An alternative to tanks is tray development. You set out a group of trays, just as you would for printing, but with film chemistry.

You can do multiple sheets at a time, shuffling through the stack to accomplish agitation.

Of course the whole process from development through fixer must be done in complete darkness.

I use tray processing for my 8x10 for many reasons. Using Diafine two-part developer makes the process very insensitive to temperature, eliminating the need for precise temperature control as might be required for other developers. I use Diafine exclusively, with excellent results.

BTW... Welcome Aboard! Glad to have you with us.

- Leigh

I'll add that the 8x10 tanks that hold the hangers are NOT daylight type.
    For 8x10 I use the Jobo 3005.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

pm sent

I think Eddie Gunks has some?

Film hangers are very tricky to work with as far as getting even development, especially at the edges. They also require a large amount of developer solution. Might I recommend a much better alternative? Tubes, such as BTZS. I've been using them for years for both 4x5 and 8x10. Even development, and very small amount of solution (250ml/8x10 tube). I only use hangers with xray film due to emulsion on both sides.

8 x 10 film hangers are readily available on eBay. Also 5x7, 4x5, even 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. Kodak and Carr were the two major manufacturers. And they are not that tricky to use when you follow Kodak's instructions for their use. For the better part of a century they were the norm and nobody thought there was anything wrong with the deep tank and SS film hanger system. We all used it with great satisfaction.

8x10 hangers are frequently listed on eBay. They are quite simple to use and I personally haven't had uneven development problems. I have had many scratch problems attempting tray development and only use hangers now (for all formats, not only 8x10).

The smallest tank practical for 8x10 hangers holds two gallons. The 3.5 gallon tanks certainly exist but you probably don't need to develop a large number (say 12-15) number of negatives simultaneously. The two gallon tanks can handle four hangers at one time quite easily.

Again, watch eBay for tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    The smallest tank practical for 8x10 hangers holds two gallons.
    I have an one gallon stainless steel tank for 8x10 which holds one gallon and handles 4 hangers fine.

-Darren

Cool Re: 8 x 10 film hangers - where to find them ?

I have a set of one gallon tanks that have lids, so you can use hangers and have a daylight operation, that is if you are doing stand or semi stand development. Otherwise,
    it is in the dark.