Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm'ng and Haww'ng from Labrador

Thumbs up Hmm'ng and Haww'ng from Labrador

Hey folks!

The name here is Erik and I've recently moved up to experimenting with Medium Format film after seriously shooting exclusively digital for the last three years. I've found that as I get more and more comfortable with all my photographic fundamentals and the process, the more shooting a 4x5 camera seems appealing to me. Especially after the morning of browsing this forum! Some seriously amazing work on here!

Mainly I shoot Aviation related subjects but do dabble in all sorts of other stuff. Examples can be found on my Blog "Three Miles Final" at http://threemilesfinal.com

So yes! Basically, I'm sounding things out on what a good (and economical! I've unfortunately not won the Lotto 6/49 yet.) beginning 4x5 Camera would be. Since I work for an airline here in Labrador, ideally it wouldn't require a backbrace and be able to be put under the seat of a small Turboprop. Lots of Landscapes out here I am going to be shooting on 6x6 120 film but a few 4x5 sheets of the notable locales would be nice too. Also, some static photography of Aircraft on the tarmac and around the airport / in hangars are something that I would be considering doing.

Looking forward to eventually joining your ranks!

Re: Hmm'ng and Haww'ng from Labrador

Welcome aboard Erik! I think that you will find our forum a wealth of information for the intrepid LF photographer.

From your description of your travels, I think that a folding field camera would be your best bet. On the least expensive side,a good Graphic(Speed, Anniversary, or Pacemaker) would work. If you could find a Super Graphic that would give you more movements and just as much toughness. The aforementioned will also have a range finder that with the proper lens will give you focus w/o looking at the ground glass and can be used hand held. Many generations of press photographers used them with great success.

Going up in price, you could get a Toya or a Wista. Stick with the metal versions as they are tough as nails and will take a lot of abuse. At the high end would be any of the Linhof Technika's. Very high quality and precision beasts.

I look forward to seeing some of your images from Labrador.

A Crown Graphic sounds good to me too.

The basic thing about the Graphics is that they are awesome cameras, but they lack the movements you'd find in a more expensive field camera, or in even a very cheap monorail. So the only real advantage they'd give you over a medium format camera is a larger negative. And that you can put the cool cover over your head and look through the groundglass, which is pretty fun.

Great bang for the buck. If you need something portable and cheap, you don't have that many choices. A Crown Graphic would be great.

To save you some weeks of confusion (from experience): a Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter, which you (probably) don't need (makes using funky older lenses without shutters possible). A Crown is like a Speed without the shutter.

They both originally had viewfinders. Some people still use them. Many don't (just use the groundglass like a field camera). The viewfinder can be useful but if you want to use it you need to find one with a useable viewfinder and then possibly have it calibrated. However...you could use the viewfinder to shoot out the window of your plane handheld, which might be cool in its own right...

PS I hitchhiked through N&L 4 or so years ago. So beautiful. Best trip of my life, still miss it.

Picture I took of the Pinware River (digital but whatever!)

Thanks for the welcome guys!

It seems that a Graphic is the way to go... I've got my eye on a couple on fleaBay. Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Can I develop B&W LF sheet film in the same chemistry as my 120? I understand that it would need a different Tank but is the agitation process the same idea?

sully: It's absolutely amazing isn't it? I'm originally from Vancouver Island and N&L totally rivals the beauty of my home Province easily. I love it out here!

Here's a quick digital shot I have from a beach here in town. As soon as I get my couple rolls of 120 back from the processors I'll have (hopefully) some decent ones to put up.

Nothing like a little Ice on the Lake in May. lol

Welcome. But you should ditch the camera and go for the brook trout!

Definitely some wonderful views in Lab. Guess you fly the coastal run, never had the pleasure of flying into Nain, heard it's fun. Last time was Hopedale to Davis Inlet.

Hope you keep your rod and flies in the craft, just in case of course....
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Welcome Erik! As an Islander, displaced to the west coast of the country, I can't wait to see the images you're going to be posting! I've only ever been to the south-east tip of Labrador (typical townie!) but expect great things to come.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Erik. Beautiful part of the world you're in!

Welcome to group therapy! Hmmm, lets see, inexpensive starting camera...Crown Graphic (Press camera) or Graphic View II (monorail view camera); Calumet 400-series (monorail); Cambo or rebranded to Calumet (newer monorail system camera). The Graphics and the Cambo should have Graflock or Graflock-type back for ease of use with roll film holders, etc., but even the old Calumet 400-series camera can use slide-in roll film backs. The newer Cambo (or rebranded to Calumet) cameras offer interchangeable everything...bellows, backs, rails, etc. Any of these should be available with a little searching for under $200; the press camera will probably come with a lens; the monorails probably won't. Film holders, focusing hood, focusing loupe, a sturdy tripod, and a lens if needed, will add to the cost of getting started.