Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm probably overdue for a proper introduction.

A Mulatto Weegee thedevilyourneighbor's Avatar

I'm probably overdue for a proper introduction.

Hello, people. This is gonna be long and boring, so I don't expect everyone to sit and read it all...

My name is James. I'm from Pennsylvania and currently living in California. I've been into film photography since school and got serious about it in high school. After graduating in 2003, I rarely shot film because I didn't have access to a darkroom and was too foolish to realize how cheap it is to develop your own negatives at home. I bought a crappy digital camera and used that only occasionally because I never really cared for it. Back in late 2009, I decided I wanted to get back into photography and started buying up 35mm SLRs. I fell in love and soon jumped up to Medium format (something I've only toyed with a little back in high school). I was shooting with a 6x7 Rangefinder press camera (a Koni-Omega), but couldn't quite fall in love with it as I prefer SLR cameras to rangefinders. I continued shooting on 35mm until I bought a Mamiya RB67. Since that point, I barely touch 135 film anymore and my RB67 is my go-to camera for almost anything unless it requires wide-angle or telephoto lenses (which I haven't gotten yet for my Mamiya).

Less than a week ago, I got my first large format camera. It's an Anniversary Speed Graphic. I haven't gotten to run film through it, but I will be doing so soon (as soon as I get the problem I'm having with the rails sorted out). Just playing with this I know I'm going to enjoy it. I can't see it as replacing my medium format gear in the same way that my RB67 replaced my small format gear, but It'll definitely not sit around collecting dust.

Other than photography, I've got many other hobbies. I actually have a habit of collecting hobbies. I spend too much of my money on movies and music. I spend less on books than I used to, but still buy them when I see something very interesting. I play a few instruments very badly, and sing even worse, but love doing both. I made a few short films in high school and would love to do so again. I also have plans for at least 1 stop-motion short that I'd like to do.

I generally walk almost everywhere I go and try to take a camera with me unless it's a walk at night (I'm not afraid to do so, I just don't like having to carry a flash around as I suck with unnatural lighting and need to man up and learn more about it).

Back to photography, my favorite things to photograph are urban still-lifes, and candid street portraiture. I have a desire to travel around North America (and maybe someday, other continents) on foot and by hitchhiking and train hopping and photograph what I see along the way (yeah, I know that it's called a photo journal).

I try to find positives in every experience I'm in and have turned bad experiences (such as being beaten by mental patients and being arrested on a day trip to NYC) into good ones. I guess I just want to experience as much as I possibly can out of life.

My life philosophy is live and let live. As long as what someone wants to do doesn't hurt or infringe on the rights of someone else, I'm okay with them doing it. This spans across religions, sexual affiliations and fetishes, lifestyle choices, drug use, etc. I believe it was Voltaire who's credited as saying, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it." That about sums it up.

-James.
    likes a lot of stuff.

Re: I'm probably overdue for a proper introduction.

Welcome aboard, James. You will probably really like large format, especially if you are also able to optically print your own negatives. And you're right, it probably won't replace your RB. It never replaced 35mm for me, and now that I'm getting into MF some that may, eventually, largely supplant 35mm but I think I'll always need at least two film systems, large for the times when I can pack more gear and take my time, and smaller, either 35 or MF, for when I want to have a camera with me while doing other things. I'm actually really digging my Yashica Mat for that now.

I know what you mean about collecting hobbies. I swear if I won a big lottery so I never had to work another day in my life, and miraculously didn't have to sleep either, I would still never be bored a day in my life.

Have fun, it's a good group here with a LOT of LF knowledge.

Hi James, welcome to the Large format forum!

Diane

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Welcome to the asylum, James.

The Anniversary is a great camera, I have lots of fun with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    You will probably really like large format, especially if you are also able to optically print your own negatives. And you're right, it probably won't replace your RB. It never replaced 35mm for me, and now that I'm getting into MF some that may, eventually, largely supplant 35mm but I think I'll always need at least two film systems, large for the times when I can pack more gear and take my time, and smaller, either 35 or MF, for when I want to have a camera with me while doing other things. I'm actually really digging my Yashica Mat for that now.

I know what you mean about collecting hobbies. I swear if I won a big lottery so I never had to work another day in my life, and miraculously didn't have to sleep either, I would still never be bored a day in my life.
    Unfortunately, I can't currently do any wet printing. I don't have enough space for a darkroom. But I intend to someday. I develop my own black and white 35mm and 6x7 film, but I either scan it on my cheap flatbed, or slip it into sleeves to wait for the day I DO set up a darkroom.

I don't have the equipment to develop 4x5 (I don't really wanna do tray developing. Uses too much chemicals and I prefer a tank), so for now I'm going to have to see if the local photo place can develop 4x5. Hopefully I won't have to rely on others for too long though.

And there's nothing wrong with shooting multiple formats. It just means you have more love to go around.

Maybe we can trade hobbies. I'll trade you classic video game collecting for something!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    Hi James, welcome to the Large format forum!

Diane
    Great to be here, Diane! Thank you for the kind welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Welcome to the asylum, James.

The Anniversary is a great camera, I have lots of fun with mine.
    Asylum, eh? You know, ever since talking to other film shooters online, I've noticed that almost all of us seem to be a little different in the head. Not really a bad thing though. We're just a little...different.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvhr...eature=related

Asylum? my girlfriend thinks I'm coo-coo for spending so much money on "old crappy cameras" (what does she know?) I have a lot of fun with my Pre-Anniversary Speed, and my other Speeds, too.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Hi James, and welcome! I've recently become and urban walker, too, and love it. Most often I carry a sub-compact, scale focus 35mm called a Bellami. I can slip it into my jacket pocket without creating an unsightly bulge, and it's always within reach. I have a Crown Graphic, but it's quite bulky to carry with film holders. If I had a few Grafmatic holders I'd be more likely to carry it. Good luck with your rail problem, and I look forward to seeing your work.

Update:

I actually solved my camera rail problem. I have to lift up on the inner rails when extending everything, but it works. I can't complain.

When I have either the time or the money (whichever it takes), I'll try to fix it permanently so I don't have to lift anything by hand.

And I look forward to seeing my work as well.

James.
    is done online for now.

Welcome to group therapy! Those Speeds are great fun to play with!

The speeds are wonderful cameras, have 1943 model myself, welcome aboard
    Questions and comments are always welcome