Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Photos of Machinery

Re: Post Your Photos of Machinery

Sugar beet factory now demolished. Very heavy vibrations the images are surprisingly sharp

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Sugar beet factory now demolished. Very heavy vibrations the images are surprisingly sharp Ian
    That is what a friend found photographing in an old building that shook everytime a truck went by -- the camera (8x10) vibrated in concert with the building to give sharp results!

Are those large cylinders rotating in the top image?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Me too, but I guess my curious nature wants to know why. Is that asking too much?
    Perhaps about your pictures. I'm honestly just working through my own pictures, trying to make them better. I don't necessarily care what people would change with them. I can see their weaknesses pretty well. And I'm probably far more critical about my own stuff than other people are about my stuff. Or not. Sometimes I really like a picture even if no one else likes it. I'm ok with that.

I guess if you have something constructive to say, then say it. If you just like a picture, if something resonates with you, just saying that is fine.

Or, put differently:

Click Here

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Air compressor in the shafthouse up at the Cerro Godro Mines, Inyo Mountains, CA

Caterpillar bulldozer engine, Crooked Creek Station,White Mountains, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is what a friend found photographing in an old building that shook everytime a truck went by -- the camera (8x10) vibrated in concert with the building to give sharp results!

Are those large cylinders rotating in the top image?
    Yes that cylinder's got the sliced sugar beet and waters passes through to extract the sugar, later it goes for pressing, the pulp was then dried and sold for animal feed. The same drum and a conveyor belt are moving in the 2nd image. That drum is something in excess of 40 tons in weight, so a very heavy vibration, I think a minute or two exposure. And yes everything vibrates in harmony

The evaporators

Sugar spinning, quite a dangerous area two or three years before I made this image part of a centrifuge had broken seriously injuring the operator. He was luck to survive the skull injury.

This had been my job the previous year, in the main Control room. We forget how much computers now control all our lives and when they went down the plant was in chaos, and it was a struggle to regain control and safely shut production down.

Ian

"Steam Cathedral"
    from a 2-1/4 sq. neg on TMY

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Perhaps about your pictures. I'm honestly just working through my own pictures, trying to make them better. I don't necessarily care what people would change with them. I can see their weaknesses pretty well. And I'm probably far more critical about my own stuff than other people are about my stuff. Or not. Sometimes I really like a picture even if no one else likes it. I'm ok with that.

I guess if you have something constructive to say, then say it. If you just like a picture, if something resonates with you, just saying that is fine.

Or, put differently:

Click Here
    Ps I didn't mean that as a dig on "your" pictures. Just saying that if someone likes "my" pictures, I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    Rachel
    Barely noticeable among the pipes.

Neat.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Yes that cylinder's got the sliced sugar beet and waters passes through to extract the sugar, later it goes for pressing, the pulp was then dried and sold for animal feed. The same drum and a conveyor belt are moving in the 2nd image. That drum is something in excess of 40 tons in weight, so a very heavy vibration, I think a minute or two exposure. And yes everything vibrates in harmony

The evaporators

Sugar spinning, quite a dangerous area two or three years before I made this image part of a centrifuge had broken seriously injuring the operator. He was luck to survive the skull injury.

This had been my job the previous year, in the main Control room. We forget how much computers now control all our lives and when they went down the plant was in chaos, and it was a struggle to regain control and safely shut production down.

Ian
    Great photos!

BTW, are these done with pyrocat-hd? (I've started to play with this and have noticed it has a unique look in the results.)