Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any good wide angle lens for 8X10?

Re: Any good wide angle lens for 8X10?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamallen View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestion for a wide angle that covers 8X10 format, of course lower price is best for me, coz I am just a student. Thanks a lot!!

Allen
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    I use a Super Symmar XL 150 mm and at infinity there's some corner vignetting, but some movements are still doable.

I've heard praise for the Nikkor 120mm SW and that's on my buying list, but that is really ultrawide
    Asher
    Probably some of the MOST expensive lenses for the job......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Probably some of the MOST expensive lenses for the job......
    Granted, Eddie, the Schneider is too expensive but the Nikkor 120 mm SW is about $500 or even less used, ( BTW, the same price range as the Lovely 6 1/4" F12.5 Wollensak Extreme Wide Angles Kerry just sold). Less expensive is the Fuji 125, reported here for $225! That seems to be a great price!

Asher

just saw a good old version of 165mm SA with box was sold just over 600 dollars on Ebay.

I'd recommend just about any 240mm in a #3 shutter. You can get these in the $300-400 range if you are patient.

I'd stay away from the super-wide stuff previously mentioned if you are new to the format. You will have difficulty seeing the image and difficulty learning the movements because you can't see what is going on.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Super Angulon 121mm f:8 as already mentioned, Angulon 210mm f:6.8, Angulon 165mm f:6.8 (barely), Symmar 240mm f:5.6

I have and use all these, and it's hard to beat the price/performance ratio for these unless you go for an old shutterless lens - or a very old shutter. These come in Compur or Compound shutters, old familiar reliable repairable workhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Granted, Eddie, the Schneider is too expensive but the Nikkor 120 mm SW is about $500 or even less used, ( BTW, the same price range as the Lovely 6 1/4" F12.5 Wollensak Extreme Wide Angles Kerry just sold). Less expensive is the Fuji 125, reported here for $225! That seems to be a great price!

Asher
    The one that I sold for $350 would have been a good option or the OP. If he's patient, he may be able to find a similar deal elsewhere.

Does the 125mm f8 Fujinon SW cover 8x10? The manufacturer lists the image circle as 280mm. That's well short of hitting the corners of 8x10.

I know the 121mm f8 Super and 120mm f8 Nikkor SW hit this corners of 8x10, but leave very little room for movements. These are also extremely wide lenses for 8x10 and would be difficult to use. Not all 8x10 cameras can handle lenses this wide, and most require a bag bellows and/or a recessed board. They are dim on the grould glass, with significant fall off in the corners. Neither would be my recommendation as a first wide angle for a beginner.

Kerry

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The old brass Wide Angle Rectilinears often go cheap, and are remarkable little lenses if you can get by without a shutter. Usually 8x10 coverage is 120mm to 150mm. The Cooke VIIb is a lovely 158mm, but also only came in a barrel. A 215mm f/4.8 Acuton is a nicemodern Plasmat in a shutter that covers 8x10 and converts to a 360mm, and often sells for $100 to $200, but isn't quite as wide.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I know the 121mm f8 Super and 120mm f8 Nikkor SW hit this corners of 8x10, but leave very little room for movements. These are also extremely wide lenses for 8x10 and would be difficult to use. Not all 8x10 cameras can handle lenses this wide, and most require a bag bellows and/or a recessed board. They are dim on the grould glass, with significant fall off in the corners. Neither would be my recommendation as a first wide angle for a beginner.

Kerry
    I agree with Kerry on the 121 Super Angulon. I used one on 8x10, and it "illuminates" but it's a bit of a reach to say it covers. The fall-off is significant, and the last half-inch of the corners gets that "stretchy" distortion. It might be a reasonable option if you only print a whole-plate sized (6.5x8.5) section of the negative.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Smile Re: Any good wide angle lens for 8X10?

There is also an f9.5 variation of the 6 1/4" Wollensak that Kerry sold. It does get soft in the corners, if I recall correctly, but it is one of the first lenses I bought when I first started in 8x10.

Diane

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Here's one where I failed to center the lens properly. Dark sky corners are obvious, but there doesn't seem to be much "stretchy distortion" beyond what is to be expected considering the angle of view.

Super Angulon 121mm f:8 :