Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SillyComparison-Howtek-Eversmart-Epson

SillyComparison-Howtek-Eversmart-Epson

There has been in the past a lot of discussion re: the scan quality of various types of scanners. I thought the following comparison, which were all made by me with my equipment, might prove interesting to some of you. My motivation in carrying out this test was not to prove anything, but just to see for myself how the three scanners performed in practice with the same B&W negative, scanned by the same operator, with all factors equal. Note: I don't use color transparency film and have no interest in comparing color. I do use color negative film from time to time, but always with the intention of converting it to B&W, taking advantage of the RGB filters for conversion.

Equipment: Howtek D4000, Eversmart Pro, Epson V700

Negative: B&W Agfa Infrared, exposed with R72 filter. The crop area corresponds to an area of about .5" X .4" of the original negative.

Scan: Carried out at maximum optical resolution for the three scanners, then rezzed up or down to 4000 dpi. So, Howtek D4000 left as is, scan with Eversmart Pro at 3175 dpi rezzed up to 4000 dpi, scan wtih Epson V700 at 6400 dpi reduced to 4000 dpi. To makes this as apple to apple as possible I fluid mounted all three scans. I also used an Apple computer for all of the scans.

Sharpening: None done with any scanner at time of scan. Later, the same capture sharpening and creative sharpening routines were run with the scans from the three machines. This was done with the PhotoKit Sharpening software. Note that I did not try to match sharpness, just show what the scans look like at this point with the same sharpening routines applied.

Contrast: An attempt was made to normalize density and contrast. There is probably still some difference but I did the best I could.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: SillyComparison-Howtek-Eversmart-Epson

Interesting comparison. Thank you for doing it!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Lachlan 717

Which is which, Sandy?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Which is which, Sandy?
    When you put your cursor over the file the name of the scanner should appear. It does with my comnputer. But if it does not, the crop scans from left to right are, 1) Epson V700, 2) Howtek D4000, and 3) Eversmart Pro.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Stefan

Thanks for sharing the result of this comparison. Am I right in believing that the scans are left to right: Howtek-Eversmart-Epson? Or is matching the image to the scanner meant as a challenge ?

Two comments:
    1. The contrast of the middle image seems a lot lower than the other two.
    2. The images do not seem to be at 4000DPI. If the crop is a 0.5"x0.4" area I'd expect the image to be 2000 pixels wide.

Edit: I saw the answer to the "which is which" part had already been answered. I did not notice the text on mouse over, but I think it seemed unreasonable that the Epson had more detail than an Howtek

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    Thanks for sharing the result of this comparison. Am I right in believing that the scans are left to right: Howtek-Eversmart-Epson? Or is matching the image to the scanner meant as a challenge ?

Two comments:
    1. The contrast of the middle image seems a lot lower than the other two.
    2. The images do not seem to be at 4000DPI. If the crop is a 0.5"x0.4" area I'd expect the image to be 2000 pixels wide.

Edit: I saw the answer to the "which is which" part had already been answered. I did not notice the text on mouse over, but I think it seemed unreasonable that the Epson had more detail than an Howtek
    Not sure how the image size appears for you, but the three image files I uploaded were about 2000 X 1600 pixel in size. I cropped them directly from the larger full size scan of the negative. Perhaps the image file was reduced in size for the site?

Sandy

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    When you put your cursor over the file the name of the scanner should appear. It does with my comnputer. But if it does not, the crop scans from left to right are, 1) Epson V700, 2) Howtek D4000, and 3) Eversmart Pro.

Sandy
    Thanks, Sandy.

I was looking on an iPhone; no cursor!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Stefan

Not sure how the image size appears for you, but the three image files I uploaded were about 2000 X 1600 pixel in size. I cropped them directly from the larger full size scan of the negative. Perhaps the image file was reduced in size for the site?

Sandy
    I believe they were, the three crops in your original post are about 50-60kB big each, and all 650 pixels wide.

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    I believe they were, the three crops in your original post are about 50-60kB big each, and all 650 pixels wide.
    Well, I will be happy to upload the full size crops, (about 2000 X 1500 pixels in size in .jpeg format, around 3.5 mb) to another location if anyone wants to offer a temporary repository.

Seems ironic that on a LF format uploads are restricted to such a small size!!

Sandy

Well, I will be happy to upload the full size crops, (about 2000 X 1500 pixels in size in .jpeg format, around 3.5 mb) to another location if anyone wants to offer a temporary repository.

Seems ironic that on a LF format uploads are restricted to such a small size!!

Sandy
    Sandy,

Impressive work! Using an S curve in Photoshop, how close can you get the v700 to the Eversmart scan?

Also, I'd love to know how you cam to buy all three? What's the logic?

Asher