Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 backpacks

11x14 backpacks

Looked through the forums, and it seems it's been a while since this came up (a lot of the links on the old posts don't work), but I need a backpack for my 11x14. It seems that the best option is the Mekko C-39, but I can only find it overseas. I know there are a few people on the forum who have these, any suggestions of where to find one stateside, or should I just order from Asia? Also, any other recommendations of similar packs would be helpful, ideally with enough space to fit 17x17x9. Suggestions?

Mike

funkadelic

Re: 11x14 backpacks

You may have to wait and pay, but check out http://www.aarnpacks.com/.
    This sounds like a sane recommendation considering the load you're taking on (insane!).

Chris

Take a look at these:

http://www.meipacks.com/TravelPacks01.html

The Trekker I and II especially. Not 17x17, though. One is 22x14x9 and the II is 25x14x9, so they may be too small. Good construction, solid zippers. I use one for 8x10.

The next one down, the China Clipper I and II, is 25x16x10 and 27x16x10, but it does not look like the detachable daypack will hold the film holders.

Lachlan 717

I've been looking for a pack for my 7x17 with little luck. Seems that you can get a pck that will fit the camera, but there's no room for the film holders.

In the end, possibly driven both by frustration and by wanting to get out and shoot, I purchased a 90 litre "travel" pack on Friday.

This is the front opening design, not the top opening. The type that has the clip-off day pack. I also bought a set of replacement clips so that I can use the straps from the [removed] day pack to strap on my tripod.

This size pack will allow both camera and holders. I now just need to get some decent foam to make dividers.

For what it's worth, this option was also about a third of the cost for a XXL camera pack!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I second vaughn's advice. I have my 11x14 in an MEI pack and it is the best ever. No extra BS padding and stuff that makes it overly heavy. You add what you want. I have one for my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 and they all fit just fine. Some have side pockets for additional gear. If you find one with the day pack even better. There are straps to attach holders to the outside for additional holders. Bag weights about 5 lbs. I got 2 more off of e-bay recently and both were something like under 100.00.

Jim which model did you get?

Curt

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I think mine are Urail II's. They are big and hold a lot. There are no markings as far as model numbers go. The nice thing is that they adjust better than any pack I have ever owned to fit me. As some of you know I'm not a big guy but I can carry a lot with these packs, and that is the way I like to shoot.

Great Jim and Vaughn, that's something to definitely look forward to. Thanks.

When I shot 7x17 I carried it in a Lowe Pro Super Trekker. It would easily hold the camera, two or three holders, a couple of lenses and a meter. I no longer have the camera, but the pack is still here. It's for sale if anybody's interested, PM me.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion