Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ebay dispute over camera, advice appreciated

Re: Ebay dispute over camera, advice appreciated

I really had to look hard at enlarged photos to see a reflection on the bellows, nearly indescerable as tape, looks like bad lighting. To me (and a dictionary) refurbished means made new(or as new) taped bellows shouts out "bad, cheap-ass repair job". I would definitly demand a refund on this basis alone. As to the lens, chalk that up to lesson learnt.

As far as "taping to prevent tearing", only if I see a frayed area looking like it needs reinforcing, then ordering a replacment bellows.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

It does seem odd to me that he made such a long and well written description, then failed to mention something as obvious as the bellows were taped - a mention of "the bellows have been professionally refurbished to prevent holes" or something similar would have been more than enough information to make your decision on.

I would also say that unless you are specifically looking for the tape, it is not hugely obvious in the smaller photos on ebay.

Post Re: Ebay dispute over camera, advice appreciated

Hello,

I have looked at the photographs and, even knowing that the bellows have been taped, I can't see the tape.

On the shutter. I have a Polaroid mp4 which looks quite similar to yours. On mine, the left hand lever looking at the front of the lens operates the shutter, either manually or with cable release. On the RHS at 4 o' clock position there is another lever which opens the shuuter manually or again by cable release. Yours has a knob of some sort in the 4 o' clock position so I guess it is similar to mine.

Hope this helps

Jack

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

On the shutter and t/b use, I found this posting made by Bob Soloman back in 2008 on photo.net/LF Forum when someone asked about a similar shutter.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Salomon , Feb 05, 2008; 12:35 p.m.

The Prontor Pro shutter has two cable release sockets. One is for the cable release. The other is for a small, handheld Prontor Professional controller. The controller has a large knob with 3 setting positions. The first is shutter open at taking aperture. The second is shutter open at full aperture. The third is shutter closed at taking aperture. At the third position the shutter can be fired.

If you don't have the controller then you can use a cable release. As an accessory you can get two controllers. The first sticks straight up and is the aperture selector which can be read from the front or the back of the camera. The aperture can be set on this controller. If you have the aperture controller then you can add to it a shutter speed controller which can also be set and read from the front or the rear of the shutter.

The aperture stick uses stick-on scales that are specific to your lens' aperture scale. The shutter speed controller is specific to the shutter size.

The entire system has been discontinued for several years. Finding anything new except for the special Prontor Professional cable release that fit through the controller will be very difficult. Our last controllers were sold to Marflex who may still have some
    ---------------------------------------------

I agree on the taped bellows photos. Knowing they have been taped, I can just see the edges of the tape on the left side of the bellows and in one place on top where a small white area is evident. It appears that someone did a good job but it's not "refurbished" but repaired.

I'm also wondering where the leather strap and the top mounted view finder are. Obviously they aren't mentioned either but being missing, knocks the value down in my book.

This seller is probably a Brit Expat living in France who has his bank account in England, or in Jersey. That's why he wants pounds, not Euros.

Good luck.
    "Not feeling so bad now about having being burnt on E-Bay Graflex win", Tom

Graflex bellows are excellent and long lasting, the only thing tape will do is make them sticky. For the price paid, this should have had a nice bellows, and the original optar or ektar lens with the graflex shutter and no issues. I have sold several of the speed/crown graphics over the years in excellent condition (never thought of adding tape) for usually around $200, and would have gladly refunded to any purchaser if they were not pleased.

Jim Ewins

At one time eBay had a escrow service which was great. Safety for everyone. Now one should consider that the product will probably be defective - so it will need to be fixed, if you buy it. Ebay doesn't make $$ fixing bad deals.

The seller 'graciously' agreed to give me a refund but wanted me to close the case so he would receive my money before refunding me. I told him this was not going to happen, by this point I was able to escalate the case to customer services. I had an email from them this morning asking me to send them an image of the postage receipt. Thirty minutes after sending I received another email telling me they were refunding my purchase price and postage Happy ending at last, and a big thanks from me to everyone here who gave me advice.

Andi Heuser

That's great news.

Did you purchase another camera in the meantime?

Make sure if you are able to leave the negative comment to do so to warn future buyers! Congrats with the result!

Quote Originally Posted by msk2193 View Post
    Make sure if you are able to leave the negative comment to do so to warn future buyers! Congrats with the result!
    You can't retract or edit feedback on ebay. A shame cause anyone can make a mistake. This guy does deserve a negative, though.