Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions at moving from MF to LF

Questions at moving from MF to LF

Don't overlook used cameras in 8x10. They're not as plentiful as 4x5's, though, so probably not as cheap, but certainly look into them before going with the Bender.

You know, I always have some hesitation when buying really *used* cameras. I always prefer near mint ones - Just because I'm afraid that I spent several hundred dollars on an old bunch of metal and wood which I with my knowledge cannot repair or even restore. That's why so far, I didn't look at the used 8x10" market in detail. But nevertheless, you're right of course, thus I'll browse this site's camera reviews of cheaper 8x10" cameras, too.

David- I started off in 4x5 with a Bender kit. I now use a Sinar F-1 for professional architectural work and a Wista SP for field work. I also have a Super Graphic, a Hasselblad system with PC Mutar and Nikons with shift lenses, so as you can see I have experience with similar equipment to what you are considering. Here are my thoughts:

1. The Bender 4x5 kit got me started, but was only a compromise measure until I could afford the Sinar. It was somewhat fragile and does not fold into a compact package. It is also not very precise or rigid (but it is cheap). It was a great revalation when I started working with the Sinar (I didn't know what I was missing). 2. Although I have replaced the Super Graphic with the Wista SP, mainly because it did not have bag bellows capability and is limited in front rise, I think it is a great starter camera. It is very rugged and collapsible, simple and light-perfect for travel. They are not much more expensive than the Bender, but much more professional and rugged.

3. You will like 4x5 as an alternative to MF. The movements are much more flexible, there is a vast array of lenses available, and the ability to switch from one film type and development to another from exposure to exposure is hard to beat. I got into MF after 4x5 (opposite to what you are doing) and I find the Lf cameras much more user friendly than the Blad. It seems that MF is heavy, expensive complicated and fussy. It can give good results on a tripod but is very hard to use handheld and is very limited in perspective control capabilities. It really seems that using MF for architectural and travel photography is like pushing rope up hill. If you get a Super Graphic and a 120mm lens it will really open up your photographic possibilities. Hope this helps!

Dave, one of the things I like about my Super is the rangefinder incorporated into the top. If cammed with the typical 135mm lens, it make it easy to use by DOF, which can be printed out thru one of the various estimating formula tables around, as long as you don't need shifts and tilts etc. The graflok back is nice for the vertical shots. These are pretty popular cameras, so unloading it if you don't like the medium is accomplishable. I personally find the 6x9 format more to my liking from a size, weight, cost perspective. Also, unless your shooting B&W and doing your own processing for contact prints forget saving money in the 4x5 field. To go to larger prints will either entail an enlarger and all the many accessory items or expensive outside processing/printing for color as well as B&W. The other thing, is that for me, I can get a whole roll of 120 processed for the cost of a single sheet of 4x5. Fortunetly now I have a darkroom, so that has been resolved for the B&W stuff. For your subject matter, and wanting to get more on film and better/bigger prints, a Horseman 6x9 might be up your alley. At least you wouldn't have to crop that 6x6 neg for other formats.

Hello,

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you who contributed to help me. I have to say that you were a big help to me. At the moment, I'm reading the catalogue of the Shen Hao, but it seems to me as if a nicely used Super Graphic is the best for me. At least I can tell you that I can't await the moment when I see my first large format Polaroid... ;-)

Cheers,

Hello folks,

I finally bought a Super Speed Graphic in super condition. Here's a photo of the beauty: http://images.andale.com/115/106/1365655/988848865187_SUPER__GRAFLEX.j pg

Now I want to get some backs. My plan is to get a roll film back, a Polaroid 545/545i holder, and maybe a Grafmatic. (And of course a or some regular double sheet film holders.)

As far as the roll film back is concerned: Is there really a problem when using a "23" back (knob wind) with modern film, or will this not be noticable in pictorial photography? Which f-stop will be necessary to compensate for the film not being totally flat? Because the lever wind backs are far rarer, although not really more expensive. I think I'll go for a 6x9 (2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches).

Cheers -David