Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A spot meter for the budget conscious

A spot meter for the budget conscious

Hello,
    in my quest for gathering all the stuff needed to do proper LF landscape photography, I am now looking for a good spot meter. I am currently using my Nikon D3 as a spot meter (very good, but very heavy), so I would like something a bit lighter than that. The prices seem to be pretty steep however, and a lot of those meters have all sorts of fancy functions that I wouldn't know what to do with. Could you recommend a no-nonsense spot meter, that won't (completely) break the bank?
    I don't mind spending money at all, I would just like to focus my expenditure (that is, 50% taxed Danish kroner) on my particular needs.

Joshua Tree, California

Re: A spot meter for the budget conscious

Got an iPhone? There's an app for that.

Ed, an iPhone costs more than two Pentax Spotmeters in good shape.

a lot of those meters have all sorts of fancy functions that I wouldn't know what to do with. Could you recommend a no-nonsense spot meter,
    Yes, that would be a Pentax Spotmeter V, or a Pentax Digital Spotmeter. No fancy functions, no nonsense, just pure spotmetering and nothing else. Simple, fast and reliable. A pleasure to use.

that won't (completely) break the bank?
    It depends on the bank.
    I payed for my V, in like-new condition, two hundred dollars, but you can find a cheaper one if you're patient. The Digital is much smaller and lighter, but more expensive.

Have you considered using an incident meter? That is the inexpensive alternative. I have a nice spot meter but have mostly converted to using the incident metering method described by Phil Davis in Beyond the Zone System. It is much easier, quicker, and more foolproof. I have a miniscule Gossen Digisix meter which is great.

Nikon n80. I happen to have one for sale too. While an incident meter is useful, it doesn't replace a spot meter. That's already been beaten to death in other threads though.

Hello,
    Look for a Soligor Spot Sensor II which is Analog. It works great apart from when the light is very low (it is hard to see the pointer inside against the dark background).

There are earlier versions of this Soligor meter as well which I assume would work too.

There are a few on ebay. An older version ending in 5 hours.

good luck,
    Patrik

Carpenter

May I suggest the Minolta spot meter "m". This is the non flash version and has served me well. Takes AA batteries which is convenient. Pretty cheap on the used market.

You can pick up a Pentax Spotmeter V for $100.00 to $150.00 on Ebay. Very simple to use meter that takes 3 easy to find LR 44 button cell batteries.

I own both the analog Spotmeter V and the newer digital model. My V is just as accurate as my digital model.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen View Post
    Hello,
    Look for a Soligor Spot Sensor II which is Analog. It works great apart from when the light is very low (it is hard to see the pointer inside against the dark background).

There are earlier versions of this Soligor meter as well which I assume would work too.

There are a few on ebay. An older version ending in 5 hours.

good luck,
    Patrik
    And they also use available anywhere 9v batteries.

I've had two, and the story illustrates one "shortcoming" (sort of) of analog meters. I had my first one on my wrist via the strap when I was going through a fence gate at a friend's house, stepped backwards to open the gate without realizing there was a drop off. To stop myself from falling I swung my arm out and caught the fence, bashing my Soligor meter. The movement was dead.

I shopped used ones but didn't have time to wait for the right deal. I bought another in better shape from KEH. Works fine.

I got a Pentax Spot Meter V from the forum and I'm extremely pleased with it. $100 I believe, maybe $125. Can't tell what spending more would have got me but I don't really care...it works awesome.