Thread: Instant film with strobe?

Instant film with strobe?

Hello everyone,
    I was using Fujifilm FP-100C C45 film to practice exposure and it worked outside, but for some reason when using a strobe indoors, it blew out so bad it was stark white. I have a minolta 4 light meter, and I used the settings it gave me on my digital first to check, and the exposure was spot-on, but for some reason the polaroid, oops, I meant, the fujifilm was completely white. Anyone know if the instant film works strange for strobe lighting? I didn't leave the lens open, I followed the steps completely to check, and wasted 4 sheets of instant film and still don't know what is wrong.

Re: Instant film with strobe?

sounds like a sync issue

We use a lot of FP-100C45 in the studio to check lighting with strobes before the main exposures with E100G and have never had the problem you describe. Strange that it is blank white. Other exposures in that particular pack have been OK? Could there be a light leak? Did you/could you try taking the darkslide out to the line after switching off all other lights so that only the strobe exposes the Fuji?

Best,
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    We use a lot of FP-100C45 in the studio to check lighting with strobes before the main exposures with E100G and have never had the problem you describe. Strange that it is blank white. Could there be a light leak? Did you/could you try taking the darkslide out after switching off all other lights so that only the strobe exposes the Fuji?

Best,
    Helen
    I wasn't using a modeling light (turned it off). I'm going to buy more film (if the store is open on Sunday) and try it again. The reason I was concerned is because my first exposure, I forgot to take out the dark slide so it was black, but the next three were completely white. How long after the exposure are you supposed to peel away the polaroid? I tried it at 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 2 minutes, all with the same result. The first couple exposures were taken outside about an hour prior, and they were ok.
    Last edited by carlosmh1910; 7-May-2011 at 17:07. Reason: Forgot some text

It's two minutes at 68 degF / 20 degC. We leave it for two minutes when it is warmer than that in the studio and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

You checked the aperture? Holder seated properly? Something is strange.

You may have forgotten to pull the darkslide; if the photo is white, then no light reached it.
    But more likely, you have a sync issue, as someone pointed out above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    You may have forgotten to pull the darkslide; if the photo is white, then no light reached it.
    Strange, I've never noticed that feature of instant print film, but I am rather ditzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    But more likely, you have a sync issue, as someone pointed out above.
    The dark slide was out, that I know for sure.

Are you sure that you closed the shutter after composing, but before making the exposure? This sounds like it was left open and ambient light with the flash on top of it, accumulated until it bleached out the exposure. Been there, done that and probably will again when I'm not paying attention.

By the way, it is black when not exposed and becomes lighter (up to white) when it has been exposed. Prove it to yourself by pulling the dark slide only part way. The half that is covered (and therefore unexposed) will stay black and the exposed part will be lighter.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Death Before Digital matthew klos's Avatar

I have only had that problem when i didn't close down after focusing. That stuff is great i use it for every shoot i do in the studio.