Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

Re: Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

Nothing to report! Egads, I must be slipping.............

Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Wally:

Hope Randy doesn't mind my stepping on his thread, but I recently tested three sets of Commercial Congo cells: 180mm, 210mm and 250mm. All nice and sharp and all fit into a Copal 3S shutter. I don't recall, offhand, how much movement there was available on the 180mm, but it certainly covered 8x10 easy enough. I'll attach a scan of an 8x10 made with the 180mm, and won't say anything about the damn wires and light leak.

Charley
    Charley, thanks for the info. I purchased the Congo not having any idea if it would even sufficiently cover 5X7...so I also grabbed the Fujinon W 180 also, which I was confident would cover 5X7. Once I get a lens board made, and rig up some sort of retaining method (no ring with the Congo), I'll play with it on my 8X10.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    ...Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.
    Louis, I got the Euryscop templates in the mail. Thanks for the extra effort to help out, good one Mate.

loujon

Good deal. Glad I could help my brother out.

Peace

This is the latest: a 210/4.5 Xenar in a compound #3 shutter. Can't wait to try it for portraits!

Foamer

OK, I can play this game today! I've just received a E.& T.H. Anthony Wide Angle 2 lens, and I was out playing with it today. It's tiny! Barrel is roughly 1.37 inches diameter, and 1.22 inches long. It seems to like to focus just under 4 inches (call it 95mm.) It has rotating wheel stops and I measure them as best I could with caliper as: f10 (9.75mm), f14 (6.65mm), f20 (4.8mm), f25 (3.85mm), and f34 (2.8mm). Lens is in great shape! It seems to be very well made. The glass elements are housed in screw out brass inserts, and everything is well blackened inside. Here's a question I have. What lens forumla is this likely to be? There seem to be only two elements, a pair of meniscus that face back to back: ( ). Glass is very thick but I couldn't see that there was more than one element per meniscus. Lens is likely from the 1890s. I bought it because I don't have a vintage wide angle and this was the oldest I could find that covers 4x5 with 4 inch length. With a native f10 I think it's probably a landscape lens. So, what is this lens formula called?

This is what the lens looks like. Front and rear elements screw out but I couldn't unscrew the barrel to get the wheel out:

http://www.jdmdirectory.com/store/Ra...641481214.html

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

Did some digging around online and came up with an 1895 E&HT Anthony catalog. Found my lens! Catalog says it's "of the rectilinear principle." I couldn't see two elements in each piece of glass, but apparently it's there. Lens covers half plate, and cost $15 in 1895. That equates to about $390 today. I paid $190 for it. Dang, the the thing kept about half its value over ~116 years. I wonder if my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens will do that?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!