Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

Re: Aircraft

I flew on a commercial DC3 in the late 60's when I was in the Boy Scouts. Long Beach, CA to Catalina Island, 22 miles across the sea. Glad I can say I flew in one!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The Gooney Bird was a favorite of mine. It could almost fly itself.

I flew in a DC-3 to Tikal, in Guatemala in the early 70's. I was working as an assistant on a travelogue about Guatemala. The plane smelled of gas fumes, the seats were not much more than slings, and we convinced the pilot to pull some tight banked turns over the ruins so we could get aerial shots before we landed. I learned that Andrea Frank, Robert Frank's daughter died a few years later in a plane crash in Tikal. Sent chills up my spine.

I looked up Ford Tri Motors and see the EAA is flying 2 all over the USA. June 20 - June 23, 2019 | Burlington, IA $72 is the closest. I may get there.

I have been to the EAA Oshkosh event a few times,

Saw the Concorde fly in there. My parents flew it to EU a long time ago. I still have their souvenir can opener in pic below.

Have you heard about the jet stream making the LA to NYC flight time way faster?

I used to fly deadhead X-Mas day flights from west coast to O'Hare.

Last one was fantastic. The stewardess gave me free drinks and we all sang Christmas songs. Almost nobody on the plane.

Concorde Bottle Opener Air France by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    Douglas DC-3
    Restored in Eastern Airlines "The Great Silver Fleet" dress and logo (ca, 1939-1941). Vancouver, Washington

The DC-3 revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s.
    Its lasting effect on the airline industry makes it one of the most significant transport aircraft ever produced.

. . Eastern Airlines DC-3. Vancouver, Washington by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Neg# ACAQ 423. KB Canham 8x20" camera, 780mm, Yg filter, HP5 film. 2004

More planes here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...57662910688898

Reinhold
    Nice image Reinhold. I think there's an issue with your scanner though (D-max in lower left quarter of the image).

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I looked up Ford Tri Motors and see the EAA is flying 2 all over the USA. June 20 - June 23, 2019 | Burlington, IA $72 is the closest. I may get there.
    Do it... Really.

I have never been on a DC3 but I have been flown in a Ford Trimotor. Owls Head Transportation Museum used to have one and take people for rides. It had tiny wicker chairs and I could see downwards along some seams in the body at the edge of the corrugated panels. Sounds and vibration were plenty. Things changed quick in the 30's. WWII planes are light years better and the Ford Trimotor was light years ahead of 20's small planes.

I'd love to go in a DC3.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    Nice image Reinhold. I think there's an issue with your scanner though (D-max in lower left quarter of the image).
    By golly, I think you're right.
    It's been acting a bit funny the last day or so.
    Many thanks.
    Reinhold

I plan to. I won't fly with the crowded airlines anymore, but an old vibrating motor is music.

We will have an vintage airplane show soon here. 2017 the B-29 Superfortress, "Fifi," was here and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Do it... Really.

I have never been on a DC3 but I have been flown in a Ford Trimotor. Owls Head Transportation Museum used to have one and take people for rides. It had tiny wicker chairs and I could see downwards along some seams in the body at the edge of the corrugated panels. Sounds and vibration were plenty. Things changed quick in the 30's. WWII planes are light years better and the Ford Trimotor was light years ahead of 20's small planes.

I'd love to go in a DC3.
    Tin Can

Close, but no cigar for me and a DC-3. One of my roommates in basic training was DC-3 pilot for Ozark Airlines out of St Louis. In Vietnam, I flew in an Air America C-46, a cousin of the C-47. Watched a C-47 Puff The Magic Dragon do its thing across the road from Nha Trang Air Base and 5th Special Forces HQ. Terrifying sight and sounds for those targeted, no doubt. Doubt I will ever get to ride in a DC-3.

Les

No idea how many of the DC-3's are still in service. I was lucky to fly Air North (most of us referred to it as scare-north) in 1991 between Dawson City and Whitehorse, YT (job related). Actually, it was a hoot of a ride in this huge bucket of bolts....we even had a rather stocky flight attendant too. In all honesty, I can't compare to anything else that I've flown, since it was v. noisy....almost vulgar level. But, it got me from point A-B :>).

By the way, just for fun dial googly and "largest weather vane". Lots of memories from that area and AK.

Les