Thread: Bogen 3036

hacker extraordinaire

Bogen 3036

What can you tell me about the Bogen 3036?

I'm looking at one online and having a hard time picturing it. I shoot with Calumet monorails, speed graphics, and smaller cameras. Right now I have a construction tripod which is pretty good but it's not convenient at all. I'm considering upgrading to the 3036 but I'm afraid it will be too big for the field.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: Bogen 3036

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What can you tell me about the Bogen 3036?

I'm looking at one online and having a hard time picturing it. I shoot with Calumet monorails, speed graphics, and smaller cameras. Right now I have a construction tripod which is pretty good but it's not convenient at all. I'm considering upgrading to the 3036 but I'm afraid it will be too big for the field.
    Too big for the field? Hmmm. That's all I've used in the field for the last 25 years for 4x5, and usually even for 6x7.

I don't know how to answer whether it might be too big. Too big for what? Dimensions are available for the tripod, but not for whatever it is you are trying to put it into.

But here's a picture of me from about a decade ago using a Kiev 60 with a Hartblei shift lens mounted on a 3036 with a 3047 head. In this picture the legs are unextended. They will fold out much wider such that the center column will nearly rest on the ground.

I would not want a tripod any smaller for a top-heavy monorail like the Calumet (either of them, and I have both a CC-400 and a 45NX).

Rick "who prefers beefy tripods" Denney

hacker extraordinaire

Thank you for the picture.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

One of these has been my 'big' tripod since '87. The plastic leg locks have begun to snap off, but parts can be found from Manfrotto cheaply. The 3047 head from that era is inferior to newer ones, but they've improved the quality since. I struggle with the thing, it's always annoying until it's set up, then it's great... With a better head it would take 8x10 just fine. Value for money? Absolutely.