Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 4x5 field

Looking for a 4x5 field

I'd say the camera you're looking for is a new Linhof Tech 2000. It'll have pretty much everything you are looking for.

But if you don't want to break the bank and can find one of these camera's I'd like suggest something else. It should be noted that this camera doesn't have a couple of the feature's you're looking for, having neither any front or rear shift or a "geared" front rise. But it has everything else you're looking for. The camera is the original Toyo Field Camera and if you can find one you will have a jewel.

Mine has a rotating back, geared focusing, significant non-geared front rise, and front swing. It's extremely rigid and I use a 90 SA with lots of bellows movement and a 65 with almost none. A 75 or 72 will give you additional bellows extension and would work fine and give you more than a bit of movements. This camera is actually a 5X7 (although factory configured to be a 4X5 in most cases) and has a 16 inch bellows.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Sorin,

Do you want a "rotating" back or simply one that can be removed and changed from/to landscape/portrait mode? Few cameras being discussed here have the former; most have the latter.

.,., .,

Looking for a 4x5 field

Simon, I need just the latter.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Isn't there anywhere that one can look to find a complete set of specifications for every LF camera -- not just a review here and a press release there? I never heard of a geared tilt but it sounds like a really good idea; except for that feature a Linhof Technika exactly fills the order.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Have a look at either Wista VX or Wista SP. They have all of that, except that the front tilt is not geared but has a friction device, which is practically the same. Wista Technical have interchangeable bellows (bag and tele), which allows you to use lenses from 48 mm on a recessed lensboard to Nikkor T* 720 mm. I am not absolutely sure for the 48 mm, as my shortest lens is the 58 mm Schneider. But I can use the 720 Nikkor without problem. Wista's URL is http://www.wista.co.jp

Looking for a 4x5 field

Emil can you please elaborate on the friction based tilt. BTW, I don't require geared front tilt if there is geared rear tilt.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Yes, check out Wista. I use a VX and am very satisfied with it.

Wista has a unique lens board for wide lenses that provides much better access to the shutter than standard "recessed" boards. They also make extension tube lens boards for long lenses and/or macro.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Sorin, the rear tilt on Wista is not geared. The friction based tilt is for me difficult to describe in English. Let us say that instead of a rack and pinion you have a rotating friction knob that moves the top of the front standard forward and backward as you rotate it. It is very sensitive, precise and reliable even with heavy lenses like the Nikkor 360 T*. I have been using my Wista VX for outdoor shooting since about 15 years and never run into a situation that I could not handle.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Emil, that friction solution is just fine for me. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Looking for a 4x5 field

Hi Sorin, I never thought I'd never be tempted to buy a modern camera until I saw a Wista at a swap meet. All the adjustments I fought will with old traditional gear, it seems you just dial in effortlessly with the Wista. This was not a wood camera I saw. And it seems friction maybe better that gears. The C1(8*10) I have seems to work just fine with friction wheels. I would suggest you look hard at one of these before you buy. The guy who had the one I saw had a table full of Linhoffs, and he told me in his opinion the Wista was a better camera for half the money. Now, is there someone who can tell us what the different Wista 4*5s avalible are? and if there is any one that is better than the others? What is it made of? Thanks, David