Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hasselgraphic or Speedblad?

Re: Hasselgraphic or Speedblad?

I like it Jeremy, and the results.

Those digital Hasselblad back adapters don't have any way to wind the film, and some (most) don't let you use the darkslide either. Rollfilm backs make more sense if you want smaller film - but where's the fun in that?

As to names, 'to flex' in Swedish would be 'böja' (the 'j' sounds like a 'y' in English) or 'kröka'. Hasselböj seems about right, if only because most English speakers would read it as 'Hasselbodge'.

Um, er, ah, I've read the thread, looked at the images. As far as I can tell this is about a lens in barrel mounted on a Speed Graphic.

What is special about putting a lens in barrel on a Speed? Its been done many times before.

Shouldn't there be a 'Pesky Kids!' in there somewhere?

Struan, how about nattering nabobs of negativism?

Tainted source :-)

My favourite lens among all my cameras is a 150 f2.8 F for the Hasselblad 2000-series. Morphic resonance makes me favourably disposed towards Jeremy's tinkering. I'd love a 110 f2 for indoor work, but outdoors I can get very similar effects with the 150 by backing up a bit so the price seems daft - all the other F lenses have been turned into bargains by the digtal revolution, but not the 110 mm.

Spiral? Tainted? I'm not sure. Bill Safire wrote it, Spiral delivered it. Bill was somewhat of a rightwing head case but was respected by many not of that persuasion.

And I'm a little aged to call a kid. I'm retiring, last day as an employee is 5/31.

Until I gave up on it because of weight my favorite normal lens on my 2x3 Speed was a 4"/2.0 TTH in barrel. Nice lens but from f/5.6 down a modern plasmat type will be at least as good, much lighter, and in shutter. One of the dark secrets of Pacemaker Speed Graphics is that their lowest timed shutter speed is 1/30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Spi One of the dark secrets of Pacemaker Speed Graphics is that their lowest timed shutter speed is 1/30.
    But if nothing moves you can fire it at 1/30 multiple times to get 1/15 or 1/8 equivalent etc.. Not saying I have been successful doing this but it does work in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    My favourite lens among all my cameras is a 150 f2.8 F for the Hasselblad 2000-series. Morphic resonance makes me favourably disposed towards Jeremy's tinkering. I'd love a 110 f2 for indoor work, but outdoors I can get very similar effects with the 150 by backing up a bit so the price seems daft - all the other F lenses have been turned into bargains by the digtal revolution, but not the 110 mm.
    I don't know what "morphic resonance" means, but I intend to use that term without attribution. Sorry. It's a good phrase for making a point without the receiver of that point actually knowing what point was made, and that's too good a tool not to steal.

My favorite lens for people pictures is an ex-commie CZJ 180mm/2.8 Sonnar. It was interesting enough that some have modified these for focal-plane-shutter Hasselblads, Pentax 6x7's, and a range of other cameras. I adapt mine to a Pentax 645, or use it on its native Pentacon Six, Exakta 66, or Kiev. Putting it on a Speed Graphic is not without its appeal, that is for sure. But it's so damn heavy that I got a feeling the Speed's front standard will be applying quite a bit of unintended downward tilt.

The relatively fast slow shutter speed of the Speed's rear shutter seems not too limiting at f/2 or f/2.8. I have shuttered lenses that can do small apertures, where the special nature of the Sonnar is no longer obvious.

Rick "who bought a Speed instead of a Crown just for that narrow and unlikely purpose" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    My favorite lens for people pictures is an ex-commie CZJ 180mm/2.8 Sonnar. It was interesting enough that some have modified these for focal-plane-shutter Hasselblads, Pentax 6x7's, and a range of other cameras. I adapt mine to a Pentax 645, or use it on its native Pentacon Six, Exakta 66, or Kiev. Putting it on a Speed Graphic is not without its appeal, that is for sure. But it's so damn heavy that I got a feeling the Speed's front standard will be applying quite a bit of unintended downward tilt.
    That does sound like a fun one! It's really easy to make a wedge for a heavier lens.

I was thinking the Pentax 6x7 165mm f/2.8 looked like a really fun one, too.

'Morphic Resonance' does have an established meaning. Use it with an air of approval and you slide gently into New Age territory. It's a nice example of something that is scientifically wrong, yet conceptually useful.

I'm less interested in my 150 mm F lens at smaller apertures. It has the odd property that around f11 it reduces the number of sides on the aperture polygon to five. The Bokeh gets correspondingly worse. I'm pretty sure the 110 mm f2 has the same wide-bore aperture mechanism.

For LF use, the real question is how fast you tire of the tunnel vision look. I like it (I fell in love with an angel in a school-of-Botticelli tondo as an impressionable teenager) but not everyone does.