Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About handheld viewfinders

About handheld viewfinders

Hello all,
    so, I am considering getting some kind of hand held viewfinder, for exploring possible shots, angles, focal lengths a.s.o. I know the Linhof Universal finders are pretty popular, hence the pretty steep prices on Ebay, I guess. I was wondering what, if any, you guys use? I know I could make a cut-out thingy for no money at all, and I might (probably) do that. Some people, I'm told, use compact digital cameras, but I don't think any compact cameras have the 4:5 ratio, maybe I am mistaken, compact digitals are a complete mystery to me. Maybe I've even heard about a smartphone app, but can't remember where... The Chinese viewfinders (Gaoersi, Dayi etc) I've never heard anything good about. So, just curious....

Re: About handheld viewfinders

Personally I think a digital camera is the best, although you have to estimate the proportions in your imagination or perhaps put tape on the LCD screen to see a cropped preview. FWIW the 4:3 ratio with most small compact digitals is closer to 4x5 than a DSLR's 3:2 ratio.

The Linhof viewfinders are great, but note that the older models do not zoom, only crop. The later models, first with ribbed chrome and currently with rubber rings, zoom so you see a full-frame image. Thus the price difference of ~$150 to $500 for older versus newer designs.

The cinematic director's viewfinders, like a stereotypical movie director might use, could also work. I haven't checked them out lately but some are more expensive than the Linhof but I think there are knock-offs that are bargain-priced too. Last I checked it looked like there were a dozen-plus models.

I don't know how the Chinese optical viewfinders are. I tried using viewfinders with my small format Leica-type cameras and was not impressed, they seemed to hinder me more than help. But some have a nice "object quality" and are fun to play with.

If you have an iPhone, look at Viewfinder Pro app- for $15, a good deal! I rarely carry my Linhof finder any more, since I always have my phone.

I like the Linhof universal finder. I have two of them, of the "tan base" vintage.

It's quite handy for choosing focal length, with click-stops at all the common ones.

The FLs are calibrated for 4x5, but you just double them for 8x10.

- Leigh

Joshua Tree, California

Charles Cramer says he uses a cardboard cutout.

I had one of the newer Linhof finders, I didn't like it very much and sold it a few months after buying it. It was awkward to use and awkward to carry around. I think the older versions, which I've played around with but never owned, are actually easier to use because of the slide thingy as opposed to the rotate thingy on the newer ones. Except for that brief foray I've always used a card.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Well, I don't have an Iphone (I have an HTC Android phone), and the app seems to be only avaliable for the Iphone. I did, however, just discover that two compacts, namely Canon G12 and s95, each have the 4:5 aspect ratio as an option. The s95 could be an option, smaller and cheaper than an Iphone, and cheaper, I think, than the Linhof viewfinder as well.

A black cardboard cutout works for me, too.
    Very inexpensive ;-)
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

A No. 8 wire frame finder -- or a US equivalent -- is your friend:

It always surprises me just how accurate this finder is. I wander around with it. Find the view point I want. Throw it on the ground. Then set the tripod over it. Rarely do I have to adjust anything.

Best,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    A No. 8 wire frame finder -- or a US equivalent -- is your friend
    No. 8 (aka 8 AWG) is the U.S. equivalent and has been since it was adopted 150 years ago. But you guys are welcome to borrow it.

On topic: I use a cardboard cutout. I have a Russian turret finder for a Fed rangefinder that is slightly better than useless, and I might use that for my upcoming point-n-shoot if I don't succumb to the temptation to buy one of those Chinese finders (either fixed or zoom). It's main issue is that it doesn't go wide enough and might be about right for a 100mm lens on 4x5. The old Leica finder is like the old Linhof finder--it masks down the view rather than optically zooming in, and my vision isn't good enough for it.

Rick "who thought New Zealand was all metric" Denney