Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting back into large format

Re: Getting back into large format

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Roger--You make sound so easy. Other than practicing, exercising discipline, spending time in the changing tent, carrying the changing tent around, buying and carrying a ton of holders, and then dealing with the inevitable dust on your chromes (hey that's what Photoshop is for), it's a synch! Who has time to photograph after all that?

I don't mean to be hard on you, but if Quickloads are still readily available when my stash is gone, I wouldn't go near naked sheets. To each his own, I guess!
    Sorry, really just trying to help - sometimes we get intimidated by something and don't realize it'd be a lot easier to just deal with it. BTDT myself in other areas.

I concede from the way you post this though that our circumstances are probably different enough to make it very different. I don't own, or need, a changing bag or tent. I load film in my darkroom. Before I got it set up here I used the guest bath with a piece of black plastic hung over the door (it has no windows.) I have eight film holders. Sixteen sheets of film is more than I ever shoot before returning to my darkroom.

I think a changing bag/tent could be a huge PITA and make not only loading itself but the dust problem much more difficult.

Assuming you have or can make a clean, dark place to load the film though, it really IS that easy. I don't mean to be hard on you either but it sounds like you've built it up in your head to something that you are making much more difficult than it is. There are difficult, trying things about LF, but in my experience they are different things. Developing film isn't as easy as with roll film - it is for me now that I have a Jobo but wasn't before. I used deep tanks and hangars, which aren't difficult but require a half gallon of solution, for example and working in total darkness. Tray development is theoretically simpler and requires a lot less solution but it is very easy to scratch the film unless you slowly do a sheet at a time. Remembering all the steps, stopping the lens back down if you've opened it for a brighter view, cocking the shutter, doing everything in the right order, it took me a while to get back into it after a dozen years away and I made some comical mistakes myself. But they aren't ones that would be any different with Quickloads or Readyloads.

You also mention "buying a ton of holders." Who needs "a ton?" I have eight. Sixteen sheets is enough for the way I shoot, and probably for most people too. I paid $20 for a pack of two off eBay the last time I bought some (a few months ago.) How many sheets do you need to carry? Why do you think you need to carry a changing bag around? Do you really need to load film in the field? You may, not saying you don't, but you may not either. If you need to carry more film in less space a couple of Grafmatics could be a good approach, though ones in good condition can be hard to find now.

Another serious suggestion: if dealing with sheet film really bothers you that much, I'd echo what Brian said and suggest maybe a different format, but if you like working with the view camera, sell the 4x5 gear you have and use the money to get the smallest one that will take the shortest lens you will use with it and get a roll film back. I have a C2 I use occasionally for color myself but don't really know much about the other available options, except that they do exist. There are dedicated medium format view cameras available that will also be smaller and lighter than a 4x5 set up, let you carry multiple film types in a few different backs, no dust problems to speak of, easy (relative) loading in the field and with modern films grain and resolution good enough for all but the very largest prints. In fact given the quality of modern films I sometimes ask myself why I bother with 4x5 myself.

Here's you five holders which will hold ten sheets of film, for forty bucks. Though he originally listed ten for $100 (a fair price, what I paid each for my last ones) I bet he'd do ten for $80:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...673#post759673

Best of all if you really do hate working with them you can sell them back on here for what you paid for this price. Might take a little patience or splitting them into packs of two.

Thanks Roger. Your approach certaily makes sense for you.

I'm trying to shed gear and come up with a small workable kit.

I realize that I don't need to cover every focal length. If I were starting over, I might choose something differently. But from what I have, I think I'll keep just the 180mm Schneider f5.6 for sharp pictures and the Verito and the Dagor for special moments. I will get nice new Speed Graphic boards for them and get them mounted properly. One day I might add a 135mm. The Wisner I'll keep, recognizing that I'm keeping it more as a interesting object than a photographic instrument. I'll save my Quickloads for trips, and use cut-sheets around town.

There you go. THAT does make sense.

I bet if you get some holders in decent shape and practice a bit, I bet you'll wonder why you ever found them so bad. This assumes you can load them in a darkroom/bath/kitchen or other relatively clean area and not in a changing bag all the time, though.

Does anyone use Giottos Rocket Air Blaster to clean film or lenses?

In the staticky deserts of the American West standard holders may be marginally better than Grafmatics, but Quickloads and Readyloads are VASTLY superior to either for dust control.

Changing bags and tents became de rigeur but it's a pity that newer and truly terrific emulsions like the new Portra and Ektar came after Readyloads were dropped. Loading holders has become part of my routine but even with care it's nigh impossible to load film holders without dust in many locales. Hybrid printing and the Photoshop cloning tool is practically a necessity without RL & QL. Besides stockpiling more I don't know what I'd be doing if straight darkroom B+W or Ilfochrome printing were needed.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Does anyone use Giottos Rocket Air Blaster to clean film or lenses?

I use one to blow dust off my lenses before I wipe them. I use one a lot to blow dust off negs and my Epson scanner just before scanning.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!