Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into large format

Getting back into large format

First problem is the discontinuation of Quickload and Readyload, which was not a good thing for me. I only have 3 rather old holders of sheet film, and never had much luck using them. Loading them was a complete nightmare for me, and if light leaks didn't mess up an exposure I ended up with accidental double exposures.

Second problem is that my favorite lens is a Verito with no built-in shutter, so exposure is a crap-shoot. I do have a Speedgraphic with a built in focal plane shutter, but I have no Speedgraphic lens board that can accomodate the Verito. Anyhow, I prefer to use the Wisner.

Third problem is that my Wisner wide angle bellows leaks (right through the leather!), and it's probably a matter of time before the regular bellows starts to leak.

I still have a small stockpile of Quickload and Readyload. When that is gone, what next? What are other people like you doing these days with large format?
    Last edited by Rider; 8-May-2011 at 08:02.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Getting back into large format

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I still have a small stockpile of Quickload and Readyload. When that is gone, what next? What are other people like you doing these with large format?
    It sound to me likle you are a tad hobbled by your equipment. Quickloads and readyloads are convenient but they are just that... conveniences. Most people load film holders in the traditional manner. For some people these conveniences have become a crutch. Suggest that you practice loading film holders with sheet film until you are both proficient and comfortable.

As for your other commencts/concerns... you sound a tad hobbled by your equipment. Enjoyment of LF is challenging with so many, um, challenges to overcome.

I am doing what I have always done, which is to use 4x5 holders. It is not rocket science although there were several hard earned lessons learned.

If you are having problems, you should probably get 8-10 good holders and practice loading them with some old spent film or unwanted negatives. Everyone develops their own technique for loading.

I learned early that cleanliness is imperative. Lots of compressed air and brushing and a clean dark place to load. I keep each holder in a zip lock bag that I got from one of those specialty bag companies. It stays in the bag until exposure and then put back into the bag until development. Some members prefer the anti-static bags, but I find mine work just fine for me.

There are probably as many techniques for dealing with holders as there are LF photographers and you will develop your own.

Generations of photographers have dealt with film holders for over a hundred years, you can too.

If you want to learn how to load 4x5 film holders, borrow some 8x10 or larger holders and some old film and practice with that. Then you'll wonder what the problem ever was with 4x5. After loading 14x17, I never had any more problems with 4x5!
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 8-May-2011 at 09:33.

Doesn't sound like large format is for you. Why do you want to get back into it?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Doesn't sound like large format is for you. Why do you want to get back into it?
    There is isn't a single reason--

When doing portraits, I find that I have better rapport with the subject. And somehow I am insinctively able to pull the trigger at just the right moment.

I cannot reproduce the special look I get with certain lenses. I realize that with pixel editing and enough time and skill anything is possible, but even with mainstream lenses, I get "better" results out of the camera without further post-processing.

I like the way subjects look on a larger negative or slide.

I love low-distortion lenses, the tonality of LF Provia, and the overall quality of a LF landscape shot.

Sometimes, I get tired of the fast pace and immediate feedback of DSLR. I do use 35mm film from time to time to "detox", but after a weekend shooting Large Format (maybe 5 slides total), I come back with a fresh-outlook (and 5 beautiful slides).

Below is the first link to a 2 part video illustrating how to load film holders. You will need a changing tent or a darkroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOI1XLBxqA

I just bought 14 film holders for $60 and they are in great shape.

My next purchase is a scuba tank to use for dust removal. I have the regulators and the air nozzles already, and for $6 per fill a scuba tank will clean computers and film holders many many times, and much more effectively than canned air or a Rocket Duster. Keep your film holders in Ziplock bags.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    First problem is the discontinuation of Quickload and Readyload, which was not a good thing for me. I only have 3 rather old holders of sheet film, and never had much luck using them. Loading them was a complete nightmare for me, and if light leaks didn't mess up an exposure I ended up with accidental double exposures.
    Practice makes perfect! Practice with the film you have wasted so far.

Second problem is that my favorite lens is a Verito with no built-in shutter, so exposure is a crap-shoot. I do have a Speedgraphic with a built in focal plane shutter, but I have no Speedgraphic lens board that can accomodate the Verito. Anyhow, I prefer to use the Wisner.
    Get a lens in shutter.

Third problem is that my Wisner wide angle bellows leaks (right through the leather!), and it's probably a matter of time before the regular bellows starts to leak.
    and get your bellows fixed

I still have a small stockpile of Quickload and Readyload. When that is gone, what next? What are other people like you doing these days with large format?
    Film still comes in boxes as always. I've never used readyloads. I think you can manage.

If your equipment is holding you back, change your equipment. You buy new shoes once in a while don't you?

Joshua Tree, California

Buy more Quickloads and freeze them ! Ebay Item 360363450070

5 boxes of Provia dated 7/12 for $300.

Here's how I learned to load film holders:

http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/...ideo-tutorial/

I think the guy does a very nice job. I've had light leaks, but only with my oldest holders, and I'm slowly weeding those out. I've bought a number of very nice holders at this forum for around $5-7, but they don't come up that cheap very often. Usually the good looking ones go for around $10 each, which is still quite reasonable in my mind.