Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your tripod of choice?

Re: What is your tripod of choice?

I found a new old stock Aluminum Gitzo 326 with the two-pc center column for $200 and couldn't be more pleased, it is the perfect size and heft for 4x5 outdoors and won't blow over. It goes over head height, which I like for certain shots, and it isn't ridiculously large or heavy like the #5-series Gitzos (which are ideal for 8x10). Properly cleaned and adjusted, even the old style Gitzo leg locks work nicely (for me at least).

A few years ago I owned what I think is the best Gitzo in the same range, the GT3541XLS, which was great. But it costs $899 which distorts my personal scale of what such things should be worth. The new RRS tripods look even nicer - and more expensive.

Carbon Fiber probably is the best tripod material, being stiff yet damp so it absorbs vibration well, but the Aluminum Gitzos are heavy enough that they never get tippy or wind-blown. And so far I haven't found one prone to having harmonic vibration with my gear. And... while the Chinese CF tripods are nice, Gitzos (and I assume RRS) tripods are best quality.

After trying a lot of heads I came back to the Linhof 3-D head, which is also quite expensive new. I found one in great shape for under $200 on German eBay. I also like the Sinar Pan-Tilt head a lot but it really only works best with Sinar cameras, using anything else is a bit of a kludge.

If you are on a tighter budget, it is hard to beat a $100 older Leitz or original Tiltall until you spend 3-4x more....

older than most

Ries J100 and A100...Beautiful and trouble free

Gitzo 1325

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned a Tiltall yet. Just got an early one and it seems pretty good.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

There are a myriad of choices but before getting everyones specific opinion you should first find out how tall they are, what they are putting on it. How far they trek with it, do they need one for use in water? etc.

Whatever will suit you best may not suit anyone that has answered your question. Best way to find the best tripod for you is the old fashioned way. Go to a store with a lot of tripods and look at them and compare.

You have a choice of wood, aluminum, carbon, basalt, etc. You have a choice of three leg and 4 leg camera supports, you can choose tripods with a leveling ball or without one. With a ball or pan head or without one. With a pceter column or without one, with a pneumatic, geraed or free moving column, lever locks or twist locks.

As for support, we have a small reverse fold tripod series that our 195 pound rep in Texas does pull-ups on. Of course, the tripod he does this on is rated to support 13 pounds!

Ries A100 with Ries A250 head for 8X10. Gitzo 3530LS for smaller formats. I have a RRS BH-55 head on the way for the Gitzo.

Feisol.

I have one for 4x5 and a larger one for 8x10. Plus I have a monopod which I sometimes use for medium format.

I like my Ries J-600 – the “backpacker” version that gets me through branches and brambles.

But add the Ries J-250 head, and I no longer like the tripod – I love it.

Remember, you can use the J-250 as a car jack in a pinch.

I purchased or should I say "stole" a beautiful Ries A100 off of ebay a few years ago. The only reason I bought it was because it was such a great deal. I put an A250 double tilt head on it and fell in love with it. The leg locks are fantastic! Unfortunately, due to a back fusion it is heavy for me. I liked the A100 so much that I just recently bought a used J100 with J250 double tilt head. I'll keep the A100 for around the house or next to my Jeep.

Foamer

Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber. I've had it for about eight years now and it just keeps doing its thing no matter how cold it gets or what I do to it. It was once hit by a train. Works like new. It could well outlive me. It has twist lock legs and I've never had a problem with them here in the Dakotas & Minnesota, even at 42 below zero.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!