Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your tripod of choice?

What is your tripod of choice?

Just wondering what your alls favorite tripod? I like the bogen 3021, its light and quick to set up!

Re: What is your tripod of choice?

I had one of those but it was too short for view camera work (I'm 6'3"). Gitzo 1325 now and much happier. No janky center column either.

I recently bought a Really Right Stuff TVC33, and so far it's excellent. Very stable, and very light for its size. Nicely made too.

Gitzo 1325 and I am short (5'3").

Scott Davis

I was using a Manfrotto 555 carbon-fiber, but I switched to an Induro CT314, also carbon fiber. I got the induro because I wanted something a bit more durable than the Manfrotto (it was a relatively early one and it had seen better days). Also, I prefer the twist-locks to the thumb-toggles for the leg extensions. The Induro will still fit in a suitcase with the head off, and handle just about any camera I have smaller than my 14x17 (I haven't tried it on the Induro yet but weight-wise it would be ok. Just don't know about the surface area though). For that one, I have a Gitzo 1420 legset with the 1570 pan-tilt head. The 11x14 will live on the Induro, I'm sure, but I haven't tried it yet - it's more of a museum piece and doesn't get used in the field. And then for the studio there's always Inga the INKA studio stand. It'll support ME... and I weigh north of 200 lbs.

Octogenarian

The Bogen 3021 with a Bogen 468RC4 ball head has long been my favorite tripod for my lighter weight cameras.

For my heavier cameras, I use a Manfrotto 475 with a Manfrotto 808RC4 pan/tilt head.

With arthritis in my hands, it is uncomfortable to use tripods that need a twisting movement in order to loosen and tighten the leg sections.

My Bogen and Manfrotto tripods use flip levers instead of twist collars.

A wooden Zone VI, which I prefer in the field because it attracts attention.

Two Majestics, either of which would easily support my car.

- Leigh

Reis A100 with A250 head for the 8x10, wonderful piece of equipment for how I work. And for 4x5, 5x7 and non-LF I do like my old Gitzos (Studex and Reporter series).

The large Majestic with its gearhead is my second-string pod. Uncomfortable to carry any distance (too many knobs), but a nice back-up.

Vaughn

Best in open field:Reis. I sold mine and regret that.
    Best inside, the big Feisol. I don't like the "CF tripods or for that matter, any tripod that uses the twist collars for leg extension in cold weather, as if you don't have gloves on it can be painful to twist the collars.

I don't think there is a perfect fit for all occasions.

I have a Manfrotto Carbon 'n One 441 with a RRS BH55 head.

I have also purchased from Manfrotto a stock of the parts that wear out, so intend to keep this tripod in working order for another 20 years with luck.

Rob