Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is your tripod of choice?

Re: What is your tripod of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    That depends on which version you buy. We import the ones with the preset cam positions. If you set the cam at the black position the legs spread infinitly up to their widest angle. Just the way a tripod with no leg stops would.
    True but there was no way, at least with the two that I owned, to lock the legs securely and tightly in a non detent position. That's all. I found it annoying when trying to pick up and move the sticks to reposition.

They're indeed a fine tripod but not for how I work.

cheers,

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    True but there was no way, at least with the two that I owned, to lock the legs securely and tightly in a non detent position. That's all. I found it annoying when trying to pick up and move the sticks to reposition.

They're indeed a fine tripod but not for how I work.

cheers,

Fred
    That is why there are small hooks on the back of the lower leg locks so you can attach an accessory chain from Berlebach or a hardware store or a string to limit leg spread.

another vote for Tiltall...
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

I mainly use Gitzo series 5 aluminum pods, but they're overkill for 4x5, and I wish that the ones that I have went taller and had attachable spiked feet. I have the one's that I do because they came with kits that I bought. I expect a series 3 would be a better choice.

I have a 1227 Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, which is great for traveling with medium format rangefinders, but it's not a great choice for 4x5.

Finally, I have a Zone VI wooden tripod, which is super strong and great in the muck, but it's a pita to carry more than a short distance.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use Bogen 3036 tripods. For the Sinar, I use a Sinar tilt-head, which is the only really right answer for that camera. For my Pentax 6x7, I use an Arca-Swiss Monoball.

I also have a Manfrotto CF tripod--the one that is about the same size as the Bogen 3021 (I can't remember Manfrotto model numbers). It's fine for the Pentax and it's a boon for travel, but it's a bit light in my opinion for 4x5.

I also prefer lever locks rather than twist locks. I have a Gitzo monopod (also a Monostat monopod) that use twist locks and I always have to go into Captain Torque mode to avoid the risk of slippage.

I have always lusted for a Ries but have never been prepared to spend that kind of money, when I can get 3036 legs used for a hundred bucks.

The Tiltall is a classic, but the lack of a removable head is a deal-killer for me. The head is a bit light for a top-heavy monorail. Might be fine for a field camera or a smaller camera.

I played with Berlebachs extensively with the idea of buying one, and I really like the leveling ball. But I did not not like the leg angle scheme. The chain is no replacement for the stiff, adjustable-length center braces used by the 3036.

Rick "who has carried a 3036 like a suitcase for miles at a time" Denney

Gitzo 1325, with no center column, and I'm 6'4". Fast to set up, very solid, much lighter than an aluminum tripod. I use it for everything from MF to 4X10.

Berlebach 3042 - Tripod cost about US$285.00 Wood Tripod as good as carbon, much less money and fairly light weight.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.