Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No flash sync?

Re: No flash sync?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Those connectors were quite popular in the 1950's and 1960's, being used primarily for audio cabling. They're still used for that purpose.
    And they are the worst audio connector ever invented as the centre pin makes contact before the ground so if you insert it into a live input, you get a buzz until the ground connects.

Steve.

No the front thing does not pull out, rotate or otherwise move in any way. It is set pretty solid. It isn't a shutter release - the shutter cocking and release mechanism along with the focus mechanism, are on the side opposite what we assume is the flash connection (see photo) It is also not involved with a Packard shutter because this camera has an internal, focal plane shutter that can't be "turned off". Gowland would not have designed this camera to use a Packard.

If you have a soldering iron, it should be easy to wire a PC-phono adapter. You can get phono connectors with solder lugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Phono-Plu.../dp/B000SOFQKC

If you don't have a soldering iron, then any sort of repair technician should be able to do the work for you.

Looking at the front of the camera, there is a lever sticking out to the right side of the lens. Presumably this is either for focusing or stopping down the aperture.

The mysterious metal post seems to be in line with this, so I assume it acts as a "stop" for infinity focus or fully open/closed aperture.

That is to say, its purpose is most likely to prevent the lever from rotating past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    That is to say, its purpose is most likely to prevent the lever from rotating past that point.
    That makes good sense.

- Leigh

Tthe lever is for setting aperture. It doesn't reach around far enough to be stopped by the mystery post.
    I got a 3.5mm mono to mono 10ft cord to connect the to an Alienbees white lightening . Hopefully it will work!

I suppose, "the post" if it is an aperture stop, could be "brought into play" if the lens was remounted/rotated in it's mount on the lens board.
    I don't know how much information (if any), could be gathered from contacting Peter Gowland's website, as he passed away in March of 2010, at the age of 93.
    Cyrus, I'm sorry, I didn't research that on my earlier post suggestion.

I certainly appreciate it nonetheless