Thread: Sourcing out chemicals for pyrocat-hd

Sourcing out chemicals for pyrocat-hd

I'm thinking about trying pyrocat. B&H sells premixed A/B solutions but it takes 2-4 weeks to ship and I'd have to pay a fair bit for taxes and handling fees to have it shipped ground to Canada. I'm thinking about sourcing out the chemicals from this recipe: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/PCat2/pcat2.html

So I guess is the information "up to date" for that recipe, and what are some places I could find some of those chemicals at? Or will I end up having to buy such large/expensive quantities from chemical supply labs that I might as well order a kit from B&H? I'm based out of Calgary so if anybody knows of local places to get chemicals that'd be even better.

Octogenarian

Re: Sourcing out chemicals for pyrocat-hd

Sean,

It is possible order the small size pre-mixed Pyrocat-HD in glycol from The Photographer's Formulary. That's where B&H gets theirs.

www.photoformulary.com

Even with the added shipping charges, it will be less expensive than purchasing the individual chemicals and mixing your own.

Try it before making the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Sean,

It is possible order the small size pre-mixed Pyrocat-HD in glycol from The Photographer's Formulary. That's where B&H gets theirs.

www.photoformulary.com

Even with the added shipping charges, it will be less expensive than purchasing the individual chemicals and mixing your own.

Try it before making the investment.
    Ah I didn't know you could get stuff directly from The Photographer's Formulary. Thanks for the advice, I suspected it could possibly cost more to gather up the individual chemicals than to order a small kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

Only in the immediate short term, it's very significantly cheaper to mix up your own.

Ian

Octogenarian

Ian,

That's exactly why I suggested that Sean try the small, less expensive, Photo Formulary pre-mix before investing in the component chemicals for Pyrocat-HD.

If he purchases all of the components and then realizes that he cannot relate to Pyrocat-HD, he won't be stuck with a bunch of chemicals.

If it turns out that he likes Pyrocat-HD as much as I do, then he can purchase the component chemicals and save money in the long run.