Thread: Hello from New Zealand

Hello from New Zealand

Hi, I'm Tim, from Christchurch, and I'm looking at getting into large format in the nearish future.
    I have two options; I will either build a camera, based on Alan Greene's 'Primitive Photography' and I also have my eyes on trademe.co.nz in case something not too expensive comes up.

I've only been into photography since late last year, when I got my DSLR, and have since purchased a 35mm SLR, a 1950s folding camera (120 film) and a 1930s box camera (also 120).

Re: Hello from New Zealand

Welcome to the forum Tim. There's lots of people here who can help you with whatever questions you have. There are quite a few LF guys from OZ and a few from NZ. Some of the guys from OZ are also on APUG and do joint orders from the US for film and paper. If you want to join one of the orders you will save heaps on the prices we get charged south of the equator.
    Mike

Welcome to group therapy!

Good luck. There are quite a few of you in the Christchurch area now.

Hello, Tim. Welcome to the worlds of LF!

Many years ago I have the pleasure of attending Lincoln College as an exchange student from my university here in California...and got to know Christchurch and New Zealand fairly well (and came back a couple times to photograph).

Good luck with your photography and I hope to see some of your work here in the future!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Welcome to the forum Tim. There's lots of people here who can help you with whatever questions you have. There are quite a few LF guys from OZ and a few from NZ. Some of the guys from OZ are also on APUG and do joint orders from the US for film and paper. If you want to join one of the orders you will save heaps on the prices we get charged south of the equator.
    Mike
    Its a little different in NZ because we pay GST and other levies on anything over NZD400 including the cost of shipping (unlike AUS where it is more than USD1000). Lots of stuff used to slip through, specially if it comes standard parcel post, but now they seem to catch it all and charge. NZD 400 does not buy a lot of film, but it is still cheaper than getting it locally.

Thanks everyone. I might have to join in on some of those joint orders. I won't be doing that for a while though, since I don't have much money at the moment.

Welcome from Wellington.

Keep an eye out on TradeMe, as you can find reasonably priced B+W sheet film from time to time. There is a guy on there that sells 4x5" Shanghai film.

That said, I've bought all my sheet film from overseas, combining orders with a friend. It can be cheaper to buy from the UK & Europe (compared to the US), due to cheaper shipping and not having to pay their value added tax. There are also some good deals to be had from some Hong Kong sellers via eBay.

So far I've not attracted any GST