Thread: Setting up a Jobo CPA in the garage - thoughts?

Scott Hannaford

Setting up a Jobo CPA in the garage - thoughts?

Hi all, I'm looking to set up my CPA processor in a section of the new garage.
    Given I'm not setting up a darkroom (I scan rather than enlarge/print my LF negs), rather a wet area station where I can just process my film, I'm interested to see how others in a similar situation have gone about it, rather than try to reinvent the wheel.
    I've learnt a lot from the "show us your darkroom" thread, those pics are great, but would love to see some photos of how others have gone about tucking a processor into a corner of a garage/cellar etc. There's some ingenious people out there, and love to see what tricks some of you have come up with.
    If there's a previous thread with pics that I've missed in my searches, be grateful for someone to point me in the right direction, otherwise love to see some photos.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Setting up a Jobo CPA in the garage - thoughts?

Mine is set up on a shelf in the corner with a bucket underneath for the spent chemicals, sorry not earth shattering but does the job.

My cpp-2 lives on a cart in the basement. When I want to use it I wheel the cart into the darkroom and put the Jobo in the eight foot sink. There is no reason the Jobo could not be used on the cart. One with locking wheels would help. However if you don’t put the processor in a sink, you have to come up with some way of ridding yourself of a lot of liquid.

Here is a look at the cart I use. No doubt there is another source where you are.

http://www.csnstores.com/Rubbermaid-...d=GPA49-QU2314

There is a thread on Apug.org that might help called "Darkroom Portraits." At this writing it has 1140 posts.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...portraits.html.

John

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I have my Jobo processor on the kitchen sink counter in my Virginia place.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

nothing wrong with the garage idea- prior to moving mine into a more permanent location of a half bath that doubles as a darkroom in my basement, I operated out of the garage. In fact, the thing was lots easier to fill and empty when I was there- just got the garden hose out and filled it up. Just because it isnt elegant doesnt mean it cant work.

Lachlan 717

Scott,

I used to use mine in the laundry of a house I rented.

Since then, I have moved to my own place and I'm in the same situation you're in (going to extent the garage for a wet area).

I'm keeping an eye out on ebay/trading post for a stainless trough or restaurant prep bench to put my processor on/in. Seems they're both rare and expensive!

So, now I'm considering making a trough from marine ply and waterproofing it. Much cheaper and customs-sizable.

This could be an option for you, too.

One thing to remember is that the processors are "left handed", so make sure your drainage etc. is set up relative to the outlet tap and emptying hose.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I run my CPE2 on the bathroom floor. Its either that or do it outside!

It really matters little where you put it as long as any liquid that spill out won't harm something like your wife's favorite table top (not that I would know anything about that, of course), and that it doesn't have to fight TOO hard to keep temperatures stable (putting it in a 110-degree garage and asking it to keep solutions at 68 degrees might be asking a bit much) and as long as it is level (a very important factor), you can get away with almost anything.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

It will work fine in a garage. However, garages are filthy and dusty. I would try to build some sort of enclosure for the processing area, something like a big cabinet, so that you can close it up when not in use. Or maybe store it on a cart with a Tyvek cover.

If you don't have plumbing, you could place it on a plywood shelf and drill a large hole for draining waste into a 5 gallon bucket down below.

I would definitely have a separate, clean, dust-free area devoted to drying negative.

Scott Hannaford

Thanks for all the good ideas - I particularly like the suggestion about building it into a large cupboard to keep the filth at bay. I've got an option to put a sink into the new garage, so that's why I'm going down that route. Currently emptying into a bucket, which works fine, but figured if I'm starting from scratch, might as well try and work in a way to have the thing empty straight down the drain. Mind you, given how rarely my job/2-year-old give me enough time to actually use the thing, it's not like we're talking major inconvenience!