Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebony SV23 camera vs Arca Swiss

Ebony SV23 camera vs Arca Swiss

I am considering the purchase of a 6x9 view camera and have narrowed down my sea rch to either the Arca Swiss FC or the Ebony SV23. Since most of my usage is out doors and often requires carrying my equipment for hours, I'm leaning towards th e Ebony mainly for weight reasons (although the Arca Swiss would be OK, too). Th e Ebony is not exactly a cheap camera and I have never actually had one in my ha nds, so before I make the purchase I'd be interested in comments people have abo ut this camera, especially those who have used it. Also, comments about the Ebon y vs. the Arca Swiss would be greatly appreciated.

Wilfried:

I choose the Arca-Swiss although the Ebony is reputed to be fantastic. I particularly like the ease of control layout, the straightforward nature of a monorail camera, and most importantly, the spectacular binocular viewer. The viewer makes the camera so much faster to use, and weighs only 350g or so. The camera itself is less than 5 lbs, and the rail clamp acts as a built in quick release if you leave it on the tripod head.

A major advantage of the Ebony is supposed to be the ability to leave the groundglass attached to the camera while using a rollfilm back. I have never seen one, and no one has been able to completely explain how this system works.

Glenn

The Ebony back swings out like a door. Then you attach your rollfilm holder to the camera. Very convenient.

Wilfried, I went for the Ebony SW23 mainly for its ability to use wide angle lenses without the need to change bellows. This camera can use the 35 Apo-Grandagon on a 10mm recessed lens board with ease allowing full movements. However I think the SV is probably a more versatile camera with its ability to use longer lenses. Has already mentioned the GG hinges out to allow a roll back to be fitted. The GG back can be removed if required as its on a sprung hinge. The Ebony cameras are beautifully built and fully functional but so to are Arca Swiss. Whatever your choice I don't think you will be dissapointed. Good luck,

I need some advise too. I am considering buying either the Arca-Swiss 6x9 FC or the Ebony SV23, and can't decide which one.

My main photography will be scenic and indoor architectural. I paln to carry the camera with me on trips, so ease of handling is important. I also am a novice to LF, and need to learn technique on a camera that gives me as much movement as possible. Also, the probabilty exists that I will eventually move on to 4x5.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, as this is getting VERY frustrating.

As best as I can tell from the Ebony website, the SV camera is not yaw free.

I know some people here will disagree but the fact that the ArcaSwiss is a yaw free design makes a major difference to me as an architectural photographer -- especially for interior work. The Arca is also very easy to convert from 6x9 to 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10.

Roger:

I choose the AS69FC particularly for travelling and hiking. It gives me the precision and rigidity of a metal camera, the ease and flexibility of a monorail camera, and what I consider to be the finest viewing system (groundglass/fresnel/binocular viewer) available. The latter becomes more important as my middle-aged eyes do their thing.

The system nature of the Arca allows virtually unlimited (except by budget) expansion. I also think (and I have taught photography on and off for 22 years) that a monorail is more straightforward when learning movements. Field cameras can usuaally achieve the same movements but often by more convoluted means.

That said, I used a Toyo field camera for 15 years and loved it. I am not a fan of wooden cameras since most that I have seen and used strike me as flimsy and imprecise (coarse) in focusing and movements. My understanding is that the Ebony cameras are notable exceptions that have outstanding rigidity. I don't know if their focusing and adjustments are as smooth as the Arca.

I have also come to appreciate rear standard focusing with a calibrated rail. This has made depth of field calculations much easier than I ever experienced with a field camera. The Ebony 23S and 23SW have rear focusing, but I don't know if they have calibrations.

The Ebonies (?) are certainly lighter than the AS by a bit. My 69FC weighs 2.06 kg with ground glass. The binocular viewer is about 370 g, and a Horseman back with adapter is about 560 g. I think the Ebonies come in at about 1.8 kg with groundglass.

The major drawback to both systems is that you cannot go to the local store and play with them.

I was recently in the Photomark store (Phoenix, AZ) and saw Rod had an Arca-Swiss 6x9 FC (I think) on the floor. I played with it for a while and found the controls weren't nearly as smooth as I expected based on comments I've heard from others and in particular, they weren't nearly as smooth as those on my Toyo 23G.

Rod was helping somebody so I didn't get to ask him about this but I'm afraid it has definitely caused me reconsider my plans to purchase one someday. Is this typical of these cameras or was this just a bad one?

Jeffrey: What was not smooth? I have seen some on which the tilt was a bit stiff, but I have suspected that comes from lack of use.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't that the controls weren't smooth per se but that they required more than the expected amount of effort to turn. By comparison, my Toyo controls require very little effort, which I find helpful when making very small adjustments.