Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "hobbyist" 4x5 c41 developing equipment question

Re: "hobbyist" 4x5 c41 developing equipment question

Wear gloves and develop them in trays. Save the expense and unnecessary bother of mechanical stuff. (Note: this is good for C41, do not try E-6 in trays.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

thank you all for the advices! pretty useful!

It seems I have found a great CPE2 in quite fair price, I am curious how it will work! Cant wait to see! This time without the lift, I will try first and later maybe I will consider getting one.

Its quite astonishing how many variations and aspects this topic has anyway... a whole universe.

bill_1856: I was thinking of trays too, I have watched a good "how to" on youtube but I think I would need a big tempered bath for it which I dont have.

I plan to do scannings so the printing will be digital.

Until I have everything to start developing, I am doing instant images just for experienceing this new format, which I enjoy quite a lot too! Also there is a "ready" negative under them which I tried revealed once with bleach (although the sharpness was not that great...)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

If you don't have the lift, then you must get drums with the magnet base and the plastic red lid.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

"The problem with doing C-41 in a Jobo is the very short development time of 3:15. It's very difficult to get even development with a time this short."

I haven't experiences any problems with uneven development using a time of exactly 3:15 in a Jobo. The trick, if there is any, is to mix the chemistry accurately, bring it to 100.4F and keep it there, time the developer with drain time precisely (I allow for a 15 to 20 second drain time to eliminate excess chemical cross over into the next step), and don't short time the other steps. I try to be precise with all steps.

Rotary processing with a lift is the way to go with C-41 and E-6 and B&W.

Thomas

thank you all for your kind support!
    for me it was also crucial to see clear of the tanks like with magnet or not...
    hopefully I will soon be able to start the "long journey" now with a cpe2...
    and finally submit some images too! My epson v700 is on the way for a start, so the developing part was the only missing for a quick start...

C41 is easy. I use jobo/unicolor kits with fairly good results for my own needs. A 2551 tank on a simmaroller does the job for 4x5 and a regular patterson tank for 120 film. I find the temperature issues aren't that major so far and just heat the accordion bottles in a hot water bath until they're up to temperature and get started.

It's literally as easy as this video makes it out to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8qX...FBB6CBAB9EDE92. Mind you I'm not printing in the darkroom where I'm fairly sure the colour shifts due to temperature differences would be visible but for for scans on my v700 it looks great. I think you're going to like the results