Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellows Care Tips?

Bellows Care Tips?

Hi everyone - I've tried looking for general tips for caring for my bellows, which look old (well, at least in my opinion they do) but are not yet damaged. Most of what I've come across has been various repair methods. I'd like to avoid needing to read those posts by taking good care of my bellows.

I have a Toyo D45M monorail camera, and I'm not really sure what the material is. I was wondering if people could share their experiences in caring for (and storing) their bellows. I have found that I'm most comfortable transporting my monorail in a backpack (or rucksack if you're European), and I'd hate to cause damage to the bellows by storing and transporting the camera.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Re: Bellows Care Tips?

I'd be very reluctant to put anything on a bellows that might soak in.

Bellows are multi-layer constructs held together by adhesive.

Anything that soaks in could dissolve the adhesive and cause the layers to separate.

- Leigh

Just waiting to be developed..

I have sort of the same question. I had Turner Bellows make me new ones for my 12x20 and 5x7 Korona.
    They’re fabric and i was wondering whats the best way to care for them for the long term?
    Also is it better to leave them folded closed (korona’s are folding cameras) or open/extended?
    Thanks
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Why don't you ask Turner Bellows, and let us know what they say?

- Leigh

Deardorff Sales and service

Fold or unfolded when stored? That is my most asked question. On Deardorffs ( the cameras I know best) there were over 20 different OUTER fabrics/coverings. Thats including 6 different naugahydes. Many cameras used in Chicago catalog houses never folded their cameras. When these cameras came up for auction I was asked by a major NYC dealer to look these cameras over. Some bellows were so stiff they would not fold at all. But they had no pinholes. Cameras that were folded had pinholes. Why?
    The fabric is in tension at the corners. Watch it when you fold it up? The material stretches and micro tears. Got it? So what do you do? My Deardorffs I use I open them and display then a month on, 2 months folded

Fabrics now a days are a bit more flexible and in the past 10 years I've yet to replace any bellows we've made.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    Hi everyone - I've tried looking for general tips for caring for my bellows, which look old (well, at least in my opinion they do) but are not yet damaged. Most of what I've come across has been various repair methods. I'd like to avoid needing to read those posts by taking good care of my bellows.

I have a Toyo D45M monorail camera, and I'm not really sure what the material is. I was wondering if people could share their experiences in caring for (and storing) their bellows. I have found that I'm most comfortable transporting my monorail in a backpack (or rucksack if you're European), and I'd hate to cause damage to the bellows by storing and transporting the camera.
    Gosh...I forgot even with the can right in front of me. LEMON PLEDGE Cleans any synthetic material without damage.
    Ken
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Why don't you ask Turner Bellows, and let us know what they say?
    - Leigh
    I spoke with Turner but they only said keep it dry and clean.
    They had no thoughts on open or closed or a way to clean it. Kinda what i thought they would say.
    But the 2 bellows they made me are great and their prices are pretty good too.

The tip from TheDeardorffGuy is a great idea, 2 months open 2 closed.
    Thanks!
    -Ian Mazursky
    PrePress Express

Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
    I spoke with Turner but they only said keep it dry and clean.
    They had no thoughts on open or closed or a way to clean it. Kinda what i thought they would say.
    But the 2 bellows they made me are great and their prices are pretty good too.

The tip from TheDeardorffGuy is a great idea, 2 months open 2 closed.
    Thanks!
    Now think of it again - is is really a great idea? If the constantly open bellows is noxious to it, then having it open for 2 months is a pretty bad idea. If the opposite - the bellows closed - is noxious for the bellows, then keeping it closed for 2 months is a bad idea too.

The open/closed state has different effect on different materials used for bellows. Leather can dry out more easily if the bellows is open in a dry atmosphere. On the other hand, leather can suffer more, if the bellows is closed in a humid atmosphere. Synthetic materials can be (or not, there are bellows made of UV resistant materials!) sensitive to UV (bad to leave them open in sunlight)...
    The "great idea" you are jubilating over is technically an idea of somebody who has - no idea about it...

My bellows are fabric, not leather. They will not dry out or crack in the same way that leather does.
    Turner only makes fabric bellows. The 2 open 2 closed or something along those lines is a good idea for them.
    I have noticed when i don’t use them for a long time, they’re stiffer not a lot but i do notice.
    At least opening and closing them for a little time will exercise them even if i cant take them out for a walk
    Leaving them stagnant seems like a good way to ensure a short life.
    The reason i asked all of this, i looked at my 12x20 bellows when the camera was folded and it looked cramped and crammed in there.
    So i asked whats the best way to keep them from deteriorating.
    -Ian Mazursky
    PrePress Express

Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
    Turner only makes fabric bellows. The 2 open 2 closed or something along those lines is a good idea for them.
    I have noticed when i don’t use them for a long time, they’re stiffer not a lot but i do notice.
    At least opening and closing them for a little time will exercise them even if i cant take them out for a walk
    2/2 is a good idea for them? Can you explain why (as I explained why not)?
    If using them (closing/opening) is good (which I agree with) then do you think that opening and closing them once in 2 months is really any meaningful exercise for them?
    The 2/2 idea is still an idea of somebody who has no clear technical idea about it at all. With the same logic you could proclaim a 1/1 regime or even 1 1/2 - 1 1/2 or 2 weeks on 2 weeks... oh, so many good ideas..!