Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: mido filmholders

Drew Wiley

Re: mido filmholders

With my 4x5 Mido II holders film plane flatness is just like a regular holder and just fine. However, with the older sleeve-style Mido holders I'd expect this to be a bit of a
    problem.

I haven't noticed a difference between the ones I have to be honest. Both seem fine.
    Gari

They have not been made in years (probably since the late 90s). When production of the 8x10 holder began, there were several time (and film) consuming quality control issues. I had all 16 of my 8x10 slides replaced twice. The film sleeves were repaired at about the same pace. After a protracted time, they had about the same reliability of Readyloads. While Mr. Mido stood behind his holders, it seemed those costs, and his health at that time, lead to the demise of the holders and the company
    Each film holder was literally hand made with material from the aerospace industry.

When they worked, they were a joy. You could carry 16 sheets of film in the space of two conventional 8x10 holders. When they leaked (and you did not know until you developed the film), they were a costly nightmare.

I saw a post several years ago from the designer/builder that he was considering production again, but I never saw a follow-up.

Mike

Wow, interesting.

Thanks everybody.

I will start hunting for the MIDO II system. Any idea what is a good price for this?

Old thread re-boot.

I just got 10 holders sent to me by a kind lady who heard I was a hiker/camper and sent them to me. However, she just sent the film holders, does this mean they can't be used without the actual shell holder? Can a ready load double as a holder for this? Thanks anyone!

I think there isa a market niche for a similar product . . .or even a plastic Grafmatic.

Hint to the folks at Wanderlust.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

These Mido I vinyl sleeves look interesting. It's not obvious how they work though. It appears that the film is slid in from one end while loading; then a paper slide is pulled out, much like a Ready load. I can envision this but two question arise. The end where the film is inserted while loading needs to be light tight before and after exposure - how is this done? Second when the movable sleeve part is pulled out for film exposure, how is the film held in place while removing the sleeve part? Readyloads use a metal clamp/clip to hold the film and the paper backing while removing the film emulsion side sheet.

It almost seems an equivalent thing may not be so difficult to design and make; even if in limited quantity.

While I have a freezer packed with Quickloads I also have raw specialty film that would be nice to use with a paper or vinyl type holder.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    These Mido I vinyl sleeves look interesting. It's not obvious how they work though. It appears that the film is slid in from one end while loading; then a paper slide is pulled out, much like a Ready load. I can envision this but two question arise. The end where the film is inserted while loading needs to be light tight before and after exposure - how is this done? Second when the movable sleeve part is pulled out for film exposure, how is the film held in place while removing the sleeve part? Readyloads use a metal clamp/clip to hold the film and the paper backing while removing the film emulsion side sheet.

It almost seems an equivalent thing may not be so difficult to design and make; even if in limited quantity.

While I have a freezer packed with Quickloads I also have raw specialty film that would be nice to use with a paper or vinyl type holder.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    If it works like ready loads then I'll try using the ready load holder in the morning.

The film is held by an interior vinyl sleeve, and the exterior vinyl sleeve slides over it.

I'll give it a try, since I never used ready loads before, I wasn't sure how they worked.

I'll check and see if the MIDO holder works in other clamshells as well. I am having light-leak issues with the MIDO clamshell I have. At first I thought it was the sleeves but a thorough re-testing eliminated them as the culprit; I think it's the way my MIDO clamshell sits in the camera (Linhof Tech). At this point I am a little tired of going through boxes of film in order to test the system.

I recently contacted the inventor of the holder through e-bay and he responded that he was re-tooling and to check back with him in a few weeks...
    I would like to have it become a reliable system; the weight savings is substantial when you are going on a difficult hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post

I recently contacted the inventor of the holder through e-bay and he responded that he was re-tooling and to check back with him in a few weeks...
    Does this mean, he will be making MIDO holders again, like new ones?