Thread: Hi from Merry Olde England!

Hi from Merry Olde England!

I'm Neil; been making photographs for pushing forty years now, almost always monochrome and more often than not in some oddball mix of old and new technologies: I have no qualms about using a computer to print an A4 negative on cell and using that to make cyanotype or gum arabic prints... Just weird, I guess.

Twenty-odd years ago I came across my MPP Press 4x5 in an antique (posh word for junk, usually) shop with four glass plate holders - I guess that's what made it antique? - and hacked up some metal frames to allow me to use film in them; only recently have I obtained some modern plastic holders. I'm not convinced that either of the holders is *quite* correctly registered though it could be that my scanner is slightly off; I don't have the proper holder for the negatives and I suspect they're too close to the glass... something else for experimentation.

The last time I used the camera was ten years ago in Brasil; the humidity and the temperature gave me a lot of grief managing the negatives so some of the images on my site show processing errors. However, I wanted some decent shots of a new granddaughter so I dragged it out again and stuck half a dozen sheets through to check everything was OK.

Brazil 1999
    Hemel Hempstead 2011

My favourites are probably #0037, then #0011, #0015, #0023, and #0029 on the Brazil shots. WARNING - do not click on the 'thumbnails' unless your computer can cope with 11,000 x 9,500 images - 10MB download but about 400MB when unpacked for display!

I like the look of the old ortho films; as I'm in Berlin at the moment I've picked up some Adox CHS-50 to see how it looks... the stuff above is all Ilford FP4+ exposed either at 125ASA (Brazil) or at 50ASA (UK). I wish Ilford would make Pan-F in sheet film...

Aye well, apologies for the long intro...

Neil

Re: Hi from Merry Olde England!

Have you thought of joining us on the UKLFPG Forums? We are a friendly bunch and have members all over the UK. We also organise twice-yearly (free!) workshops and other smaller get-togethers.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Thanks for the invitation Joanna, I've just registered there with the same username.

Ah, so many fora...

Neil

My dad came from Hemel! His family moved nearer Chippenham when he was a teen (so that must be 40 years ago now).

Welcome to group therapy!

Hi Neil,
    I dangled me maggot in the cut near Hemel years ago. Welcome to the forum. They're a great bunch of guys.
    Pete.