Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP Combi plan

Re: HP Combi plan

I'm another satisfied user. A couple of things I, and others have noted. The fill and empty times. At first this bothered me. I was use to 35mm tanks. I have not found the "perceived" times with the Combiplan to be an issue. Be careful with the tank itself. It's very brittle plastic. If you drop it on a hard surface... need I say more. I chipped the corner of mine doing just that, but liked it well enough to get a new one. It can leak around the edges of the lid if you don't secure it tightly. After loading and putting the lid on, I make sure I press very firmly around the perimeter every inch or two. Since doing this, no leaks at all.

Octogenarian

Eleanor,

An article that I wrote for the home page of this website offers a clue about loading film into the Combi-Plan.

Click on LF Home Page on the blue tool bar above. Scroll down to "Developing 4x5 Film, an Alternative Method".

A few of the photos at the end of the article show how the sheets of film are loaded into the Combi-Plan film rack.

I have a combiplan and like it. It is expensive cheap plastic - but does the job. You do have to be careful with the film loading guides and the top retaining clip as can crack/break. I've already had to superglue both.

Also, I've found that the orange film guides tend to dislodge easily. So, I place a a loose rubber band around them to keep them in place until ready to place into the tank body. I then just roll it down off of the film guide in order to remove them.
    Bob Salomon (Previous page) is also correct on the retaining clip - just a click or two.
    When pouring the chemicals, make sure that the tank is on a level surface so that the chemicals flow evenly and to not pour directly onto the Negatives.
    And finally - when rotating the tank to agitate the solution, rotate ONLY side to side and NEVER front to back. If you rotate front to back you can (lesson learned) dislodge the film from the weight of the chemicals pushing against them.

-Robert
    RmFrase

Shen Hao TZ45IIb 4x5
    Horseman L45 4x5
    Canon 6D Mark II
    75mm, 90mm, 150mm, 210mm, 240mm
    Epson V700 Scanner

Quote Originally Posted by RmFrase View Post
    And finally - when rotating the tank to agitate the solution, rotate ONLY side to side and NEVER front to back. If you rotate front to back you can (lesson learned) dislodge the film from the weight of the chemicals pushing against them.

-Robert
    Great tip.

Thank you
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by RmFrase View Post
    Also, I've found that the orange film guides tend to dislodge easily. So, I place a a loose rubber band around them to keep them in place until ready to place into the tank body. I then just roll it down off of the film guide in order to remove them.
    -Robert
    Ditto on this tip, forgot to include it. Without the rubber band, they pop off pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Ditto on this tip, forgot to include it. Without the rubber band, they pop off pretty easily.
    Then you broke yours. An unbroken film clip will stay on even with violent shaking when inverted. Contact us about replacing it.

800 735-4373

Octogenarian

Bob,

They are referring to the orange film loading bar, not the film retaining clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Bob,

Yup, no problems with the film retaining clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Bob,

The film loading guide locks onto the film carrier and will support the weight of a loaded holder. If it is falling off then it is either broken or improperly installed. Again call us and we will replace it if broken or guide you through its proper use if it isn't.

800 735-4373

Octogenarian

Bob ,

In post #16, you stated "film clip", not "film loading guide".

The film loading guide was the part that Robert was referring to, not the film clip.

Over the years, I have used at least 10 different Combi-Plan film loading guides. None of them locked firmly onto the film racks. All of them couldn't have been broken. I thought I was using them properly.

Is there a trick to locking them down?