Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tripod Hunt

Re: A Tripod Hunt

Freestyle sells Tiltalls for $100(newest version). I've owned the original Marchioni Bros., a Leitz, and a new version, all are good(first two are great)they seem to be able to take a beating and continue to work good. The new ones can be used for a monopd, one leg is removable and the bottom plate from the column installed on it.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Ries Tilthead is a great head for large format camerwork

Check out the Gitzo pan/tilt heads. Several current and many past options (available used) that might fill your needs well. There have also been plenty of other brands of decent pan/tilt heads that use a mounting screw instead of a QR.

Also, can someone explain to me the draw of Tiltall tripods these days? I've used several and totally fail to see the appeal. Nothing about them seem better than what you can buy today for a reasonable price.

I definitely recommend a TILTALL. Usually under $100 on ebay. Be sure to get the model made by LEITZ, not the current Chinese ones.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you are patient you can find an inexpensive tripod on Ebay. Look for an older Tiltall. Gitzo aluminum, or Bogen. A lot of times the tripods are sold without a head so you can then buy the head of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Also, can someone explain to me the draw of Tiltall tripods these days? I've used several and totally fail to see the appeal. Nothing about them seem better than what you can buy today for a reasonable price.
    I like my tiltall because it's what i've had since college 15 years ago, bought used then from a photographer's widow. I've used various other tripods as well and haven't found anything so hugely innovative I must upgrade from the tiltall. It is functional, rugged, of excellent value, and it looks good (in black or silver or matte silver). I must say I do like the look of my matte silver leitz version under a Rolleiflex or Speed graphic, or my friends newer black one under a DSLR.

Regarding function. Using a tripod outdoors I often get them dirty with mud or sand. Stamped leg tripods like the slik and cheaper get all gritted up with sand or ice and don't extend and retract as well. Round leg tripods like the tiltall clean the legs off as they retract, like the wipers on a hydraulic ram). Round legs like my manfrotto monopod don't clean off as well as the clamp opens differently and is really lose for putting the leg in or out. Cheaper big box store tripods aren't as sturdy (wiggly, loose head) or well made (suited to daily use or varying weather). Other pro tripods seem to focus on slightly lighter weight rather (such as the carbon fiber choices) than function, or are for a big-camera market rather than all purpose (like ries or berlebach).

The tiltall head is also smooth enough operating that it pans a lot nicer than the big box store tripods marketed to video users. I don't do video other than my flip presently, but would think someone would keep panning ability in mind if they keep up with the newest DSLRs that do video. The amount of bite the tiltall head has as you tighten it is very linear as well. Other tripod seem to have a spot where they go from super loose to fairly tight then you have to crank it down more to get to locked-tight. The tiltall goes linearly tighter from loose to "some fluidlike drag resistance", to "don't bump it", to tight. This is nice when making small adjustments to a still photo composition.

I use it for everything from a flip video camera, 35mm, MF, 4x5, and sometimes 8x10 indoors. It's not well suited to 8x10 outdoors or heavy 8x10. Should be fine for a pinhole 8x10 as long as it's not windy.

I also have a cheap surveying tripod for my 8x10, a davis-sanford crankup tripod, a century camera stand, and a manfrotto mopopod. I mostly use the tiltall but would consider a manfrotto if forced to change for medium-sized needs. I would like a berlebach or ries for 8x10 use, but it's not a high priority.

I had a slik u212 before that and still have it but mostly just use it occasionally as a stand to hold a reflector. I prefer not to use a proprietary quick release like it uses. There have been times when I wasn't able to use it for a camera tripod as I'd misplaced the q.r.

Just an update, I ended up getting a Tiltall (Marchioni 4602) on eBay. I'm hoping that it can handle my LF needs.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    Just an update, I ended up getting a Tiltall (Marchioni 4602) on eBay. I'm hoping that it can handle my LF needs.
    Great choice. You may never need another tripod.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I've had three Tiltalls. One was ripped off, the second, a Tiltall Junior (Marchioni) for MF and the third, an old aluminium finished Lietz war horse sees service on my 5x7 Speed Graphic and Graphic View 2.
    I'm rather fond of old Tiltalls!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Now I'm starting to wonder if the 4602 is appropriate for a 7-lb monorail camera. I guess I'll find out with experience.

I saw somewhere that there's some sort of conversion you can do with the center column, such as turn it into a monopod or tabletop tripod. Does this sound familiar to anyone? and while we're at it, is there a guide on how to use it somewhere online?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery