Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tripod Hunt

A Tripod Hunt

OK, there are a few things I'm going to need before I can start doing proper large format photography, including a focusing loupe and a more protective backpack/transport system. But numero uno on the list is a tripod. Right now I have a Slik U9000. (Pause for laughter.) Great for all my medium format and smaller cameras. Absolute crap for my Toyo 4x5 camera with an extended monorail. Set up a shot and watch the camera slowly aim to the ground... I'm also planning on making an 8x10 pinhole and I expect a similar problem.

In the past, I have had one recommendation for a Tiltall tripod, though this weekend I had the pleasure to see some older Bogens in action. One supported a Speed Graphic (or Crown Graphic...?) and the other supported an Eastman 8x10. Apart from the 8x10 being just plain heavy, both seemed to be pleasures to operate. The former even lacked a quick release, which would be great for me. I hate trying to keep track of my stupid q.r. plate.

Anyway, since I am a cash-strapped student with little access to local resources, I have to find as good a deal as I can, and even then, I need to delay purchasing a tripod until at least May. In the meantime, the best thing to do is research, research, research. The problem is, many I can't typically find the load capacities for older tripods, and I don't even know how much my rig weighs when assembled. So here's my criteria:

- Relatively inexpensive.
    - Can handle a Toyo D45M with extended monorail, and all its parts, as well as an 8x10 wooden pinhole.
    - 3-way head rather than ball head.
    - Uses a screw within the tripod, not a quick release.

I'm thinking a Bogen would work best, but I'd also be receptive to similar brand names. Can anyone recommend a model number for a set of legs and a head?

Thanks for reading and weighing in!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Re: A Tripod Hunt

Tiltall, no problem with my Speed+ Aero Ektar (heavy) at long extension, also virtually indestructible and relatively cheap, mines an Omnichrom ( not marchioni or leitz) but does the job great!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

You might look for a used 1990s or newer Gitzo series 3 or 5 tripod with a rational series 5 pan/tilt head. I've not used a Tiltall, and so I can't compare. I'm not a fan of Bogen tripods.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have two Majestics, one single-leg (per side) and one double-leg. They'll support any camera you can lift.

When not shooting you can use them to support your car during oil changes.

- Leigh

I've used a Tiltall for 400mm lenses on small cameras and long lenses on a 5x7 with no problem. I'd still be using the one bought second-hand over 40 years ago if I hadn't lost it. Its replacement is another old Tiltall. I almost always use the Tiltall in preference to my other tripods.

Tiltall has a permanently installed head with a 1/4" screw. A similar sized Gitzo would be the Series 2 aka Reporters The Series 3 Gitzo are Studex tripods which would be my choice.
    Bogen 3021 would be roughly equal to the Tiltall.

Here's a question. Do manufacturers make the legs and the heads exclusive? I.e., can I only use, say, Gitzo heads on Gitzo legs?
    My Flickr Gallery

You can mix most heads and legsets because the popular common semi-professional brands have 3/8-16 screws to attach heads. Some combinations work better than others of course.

It is very common to use Gitzo legsets with other manufacturers' expensive ball heads (Arca-Swiss, RRS, Kirk, Foba, Chinese Brand X) for example.

The Tiltall has a dedicated head that is as nice as anything else really. It is really hard to beat an older vintage Tiltall for $100, you probably need to get lucky on a deal or spend $250-plus on used Gitzo to get anything else that is close. I know, I've looked....

Over the years I have bought and sold 50+ tripods of all sizes and makes. It is difficult to beat a Tiltall in good condition. They are still available new for about $100.

After a few hours spent searching in frustration, I thought I'd come back here and just beg everyone to start listing tripods that don't feature a quick release and instead have a standard 1/4-20 screw in the head. I hate quick release systems, and I was overjoyed at seeing that one Bogen 3-way head with a simple screw over the weekend. I'm not having any luck searching for something similar so far.
    My Flickr Gallery